Studying in Australia and getting admission to universities comes with many perquisites, and one of the most important ones is your scorecard from IELTS, an English language proficiency test. When you think of this country and research the available universities and courses, you will come to understand that many universities need your IELTS scorecard for admission.
The full form of IELTS is International English Language Testing System, which is an internationally accepted English language proficiency test. The lowest accepted IELTS score for the Indian students is from 5.5 to 6.5, based on the level and the course you choose to study.
This English language proficiency test is crucial for the colleges and universities to ascertain the English proficiency (writing, speaking, reading, and listening) of foreign, exchange and international students. This is an important procedure so that their language does not prove to be a hurdle during the course completion.
Some of the non-native English speakers might encounter difficulty getting the passing scores in this English language proficiency test, and it could prove to be a big hurdle in their admission to their Australian universities. You may also face a financial burden if you appear for IELTS more than once since the registration fees for this exam is Rs. 13250 (as per April 2019). But don’t lose hope as there are many other options available apart from IELTS.
Alternatives to IELTS for the foreign, exchange and international students in Australia
Studying in Australia is a dream for many international and international students worldwide. There is a single and common parameter that most of us are aware of and comfortable with: English Language Tests. TOEFL and IELTS are really difficult nuts to crack. So what if we tell you that there is a way around these tests and still study in Australia?
Substitute English Language Preparatory Program
Many Australian universities have their English language schools. The foreign, exchange and international students who do not meet the passing marks in IELTS or haven’t appeared for the IELTS test can attend these customized courses as such courses are offered in place of/instead of IELTS.
To name a few universities – Swinburne University of Technology, University of Melbourne, and Macquarie University. Such students can complete these courses and then move on to pursue the degree of their choice. Please note that the Australian universities that have their separate English language preparatory courses have their fees for them. Such charges will be different from your main area of study.
International Baccalaureate Program
If you have completed the International Baccalaureate Program, there is no need to submit your IELTS score. International Baccalaureate Program is a diploma program of two years recognized by universities in Australia and around the world. As the International Baccalaureate Program curriculum is based on international standards, the program encourages students to think globally.
Some of the universities in Australia, such as the University of Queensland, waive the requirement of submitting the IELTS scorecard if you have worked in an institution where the primary language of instruction and communication was the English language, and you should also have a work ex of at least five years.
Other universities in Australia, such as the University of Southern Queensland, offer plenty of Pathway programs. This ensures your smooth admission to universities in Australia for a full-time degree as such programs are entry pathways to university studies. You would not be required to take an English language proficiency test if you have completed this program. Few such examples are
- Technical and Further Education (TAFE) – It is one of the biggest vocational and educational training providers in Australia, located in South Australia, and more than fifty pathway programs are available here.
- AE, i.e. the Academic English Program by the English language centre at the University of South Australia.
For the international and international students who couldn’t crack this English language proficiency exam, there are many universities and colleges in the nation where a student can pursue studying in a prestigious university without the hassle of English Language scorecards.
Do you know that a student can study for both masters and bachelors in this fascinating country without IELTS? So, 1st of all, you need to check out the complete process here –
Step Number 1: The Complete Application Process for pursuing your Studies in this amazing country without IELTS
- First of all, you should research the universities and colleges in Australia. You should also research the courses in which you are interested. After that, check the Eligibility Requirements and University Rankings on the university’s website and the college you are interested in.
- It would help if you went through all the colleges and universities in Australia that do not need an IELTS score for admission and pick the university that suits you the best: career-wise and academically.
- A student is required for applying online for universities and colleges in this nation without this English language proficiency test you have chosen.
- The documents that you will be required for applying to universities in Australia that do not take the IELTS score are –
- Evidence of Work Experience,
- SOP, and
- Docs of your last academic transcript, etc
Step Number 2: Video Interviews/ Skype
As soon as these universities have shortlisted your profile, your video interviews or Skype interviews are scheduled and conducted to assess your English proficiency. The Video Interviews/ Skype Interviews are also conducted to know students’ excitement level and eagerness to join that particular university. To get your admission done to the university of your choice, it is mandatory to successfully clear the video or Skype interview.
Step Number 3: Fees of Tuition and other costs to study in this fascinating nation
When a student successfully cracks his/her video interview/ Skype interview/ personal interview (whatever you may name it), you get an acceptance letter from that particular Australian university that you have applied to and want to get admission in.
The letter of acceptance is also a confirmation that you have earned and gained confirmation and acceptance for the programme you applied to and wanted to pursue. Now is the correct time for paying your tuition fees for the 1st year of the programme you have selected.
Tip – Do check that if any scholarship can be granted to you before paying the university’s tuition fees.
Step 4: Applying for a student visa in Australia without IELTS (or TOEFL)
You will require the following documents for submission while you apply in an online form for the visa of a student in Australia without IELTS –
- Academic Transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Proof of Accommodation
- Proof of Monetary Funds
- Overseas health insurance receipt
- COE, i.e. Confirmation of Enrolment Form
- 2 Photographs
- Valid Passport
Alternatives to IELTS
The Australian universities accept the scorecard of other language proficiency tests as well, such as –
Full-Form – Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL is held over fifth dates per year and is an English language proficiency test for admissions in foreign universities, work and immigration. This exam is conducted by the ETS, i.e. the Educational Testing Services.
The Eligibility criteria for a student is that he/she should be a 10+2 pass or a minimum of sixteen years of age.
The scores of TOEFL are valid for 24 months.
Full form – C1 Advanced or Certificate in Advanced English
The Certificate of CAE is used for admissions in work and universities and can be used as proof of a high level of the English language. The University of Cambridge conducts the Certificate in Advanced English.
The eligibility criteria for a Certificate in Advanced English are that the appearing student should be 10+2 or at least 10+1. The Certificate in Advanced English has no expiry date.
Full form – Certificate of Proficiency in English
The Certificate of Proficiency in English is a test to gauge the English language abilities of a student. Same like CAE, the University of Cambridge conducts this proficiency test.
The eligibility criteria of CPE and its validity are the same as the CAE, i.e. the Certificate in Advanced English.
Full form – Pearson Test of English
Pearson Test of English is conducted by Pearson PLC Group and is a computer-based English language proficiency test.
This English language proficiency test’s eligibility criteria are that the appearing student must be sixteen years of age, with a parental consent form required for the students who are below 18 years of age.
The scores for the Pearson Test of English are valid for two years.
Full-Form – Occupational English Test
The Occupational English Test is conducted by the Cambridge BoxHill Language Assessment and is a test for healthcare professionals. There are no eligibility criteria for this English language proficiency test, and the regulatory authorities decide the validity of the test.
Australian Universities without IELTS
Below is the list that consists of all colleges and universities in Australia that will grant you admission without an IELTS score. You should know that many universities in Australia accept the Pearson Exam of the English Language (PTE) as a Language Proficiency Test and the Government of Australia, which relies on Pearson Test of English (PTE) scorecards for many such purposes.
You can find the complete list of Australian universities that do not accept IELTS score below –
University of the Queensland
This prestigious research university is situated in Brisbane. Although IELTS is required for admission to Brisbane’s University, we will be talking about alternatives to IELTS for getting admission into this old, prestigious research educational institution.
The University of Queensland has been ranked at the forty-eight spot in the top universities of the World. A student can study at this prime university if he or she fulfils 1 of the below-mentioned criteria –
- A student should have completed his/her secondary education along with one rich discipline in English in one of the below-mentioned nations –
- The United States of America
- The United Kingdom
- Trinidad and Tobago
- South Africa
- Solomon Islands
- Papua New Guinea
- New Zealand
- Falkland islands
- Cook islands
- American Samoa
Study in this nation without IELTS score for the Indian students –
If you are an Indian student, you must fulfil the criteria mentioned below –
- Qualification – AISSCE (All India Senior School Certificate)
Number of Marks in the English language for a minimum number of ELP Programmes – Minimum 65%
Number of Marks that are required for the English language for a higher number than minimum numbers of ELP Programmes – Minimum 81%
- Qualification – HSC and SSC certificates that are issued by the State Boards of West Bengal, Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Gujarat
Number of Marks in the English language for a minimum number of ELP Programmes – Minimum 65%
Number of Marks that are required for the English language for a higher number than the minimum number of ELP Programmes – Minimum 81%
- Qualification -ISC (The full-form of ISC is the Certificate of Indian School)
Number of Marks in the English language for a minimum number of ELP Programmes – Minimum 65%
Number of Marks that are required for the English language for a higher number than the minimum number of ELP Programmes – Minimum required percentage is 81%
- A student should possess sufficient English language skills that are developed through voluntary or paid Work Ex for a minimum of five years in a professional environment and environment that is mainly the English language speaking.
- You can also get admission to the University of Queensland if you have earned a degree from an educational institution recognized by this university, or you have received a high number of marks in the English language course certificate.
The Adelaide University is one of the most prestigious universities in the nation and is ranked at 114th spot in World University Rankings. A student can apply for the this prestigious university of Australia without TOEFL or IELTS if –
- A student should possess an acceptance of condition from the college or university or other educational institutions, and you have completed the English Pathway Programme of the University of Adelaide OR
- If a student has done the last course in the language of English (Both Assessment and Instruction in the English language)
Also, the below-mentioned tests are considered equally –
- Cambridge English (Advanced) – CAE
- Pearson Test of English – Academic (PTE)
- Paper-Based and Internet-Based TOEFL
The University of Adelaide might ask you to sit for an English language preparatory program for two semesters or a full academic year, in case this university finds out that your application is appealing with English language proficiency and skills.
A student will be required to give a test to show if there has been any improvement in the English language after each semester. You might be allowed to skip the 2nd test if you score well in the 1st test. Please note that you would not be allowed to study for a regular tour course if you fail in this course’s finals.
For the process of admission, a student should provide a letter of confirmation from your educational degree institution stating you have completed, earned and earned your degree education in the language of English (both Assessment and Instruction).
The New South Wales University
This old and prestigious university situated in the region of New South Wales is the 3rd ranked University in Australia and occupies 45th when it comes to world rankings. The University of New South Wales is a great option to study abroad. A student can avail admission at the University of New South Wales without the score of IELTS if –
- A student should have an acceptance of condition from the University of New South Wales, and after he or she completes his or her Pre-Sessional programme in the English language.
- A student can also submit his or her Pearson Test of English (PTE) or CAE, i.e. Advanced level of Cambridge English scorecard or CPE, in place of assessment with the help of IELTS or TOEFL.
- Another option available for you if you do not wish to choose the two above-mentioned is that you contact the University of New South Wales admissions department and convince them that your skills and proficiency in the English language are at par with that required by the university itself.
For this, you have to submit your scorecard in the English language proficiency tests of your previous education. If that’s not available, you can submit a reference letter from your previous employer if you were surrounded by native English speakers and work-ex > 2 years.
Another university from the top and best 250 universities in the globe are Macquarie University. A student can certainly apply for conditional admission at this prestigious university of Australia.
If the complete criteria of admission other than the English Proficiency test are fulfilled, a student can then take the English preparation programme at Macquarie University’s English Language Centre.
The English language requirements change by the course at Macquarie University. The below-mentioned certificates might give you a place in the Macquarie University –
If all the criteria other than IELTS is fulfilled, you can get conditional admission to Macquarie University. After this, you are eligible to take the English language preparatory program in their Centre of English language.
The Bond University
This prestigious university of Australia is one of the best and top 500 universities across the globe. If you want me to be utmost precise, 443 is the number.
The students who can provide strong proof of being proficient in the English language can apply to Bond University.
This university also accepts the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) and the English certificates of C1 Advanced. You can also complete the English for Academic Purposes, i.e. EAP Level 3 of the Bond university before your actual study program starts. Then you would be 100% eligible for admission to this prestigious university.
The South Australia University
Another old, famous and prestigious university from this continent ranked at 264th position in the rankings of World University is The South Australia University. This university is quite flexible when we talk about the requirements of the English language. A student can get admission to the university of south Australia without this English language proficiency test (IELTS) if 1 of the below-mentioned conditions is fulfilled –
- One year in any tertiary or secondary education completed in nations decided by the university of south Australia.
- Minimum one year of tertiary education in this country.
- Secondary education is done in this nation.
- TAFE SA programme
- CELUSA English programme of level 4
- Individual and overall scores of 50 in the Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- A score of 169 in Certificate of Proficiency (CPE) and Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
The Southern Queensland University
The Southern Queensland University provides University of Southern Queensland Pathway programmes to bright students who are 100 per cent eligible for admission in an English proficiency course. The admission is granted after the successful completion of the programme.
The Swinburne University of Technology
The university that occupies the 387th spot in the list of top universities globally is the Swinburne University of Technology. To get admission to the Swinburne University of Technology, you must fulfil any 1 of the below-mentioned criteria –
- If a student has completed tertiary education and secondary education in an educational institution where the English language is the language of communication for both instruction and assessment, and you must offer a letter of confirmation stating the same thing.
- You don’t need any English Language Proficiency Proof if a student is from any of the below-mentioned nations –
- Hong Kong
- You are directly accepted into the Swinburne University of Technology programme if you complete the English language for Academia at Swinburne.
- A student can also enrol in the English language preparatory program at the Swinburne University of Technology as it is a part of the university’s ELICOS (English language course). A student can either enrol in English for Academic Purposes or General English. The course duration is five weeks to fifty weeks, which provides you plenty of flexibility to adapt this in your regular course.
- The Swinburne Uni of Technology also accepts English language proficiency test qualifications such as the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE English).
The Victoria Uni is the last university that we will be talking about under ‘How to study in this fascinating place without IELTS?’. Few English language proficiency certificates are accepted at the Victoria University, which includes –
- PTE, i.e. Pearson Test of English
- Cambridge English – 1st Certificate in the English language FCE
- CAE – Cambridge English Advanced
Australian National University
The Australian National University has many options available to fulfil their requirement of the English language. You can offer the certificates of any of the below-mentioned tests –
You can also give a local English language proficiency scorecard and certificate from India. Moreover, this prestigious university of Australia also provides the Australian National University Access Program, an in-depth ten-week course with a clear-cut focus on academic English. This course aims to make foreign, exchange and international students adept at handling the transition from undergraduate and postgraduate courses at the Australian National University.
You should know that many universities that provide English language courses on-campus charge differently for it. This fee will not be included in the academic fees, application fees, or tuition fees as there will be separate fees for this course. So I hope that you know now that you can study in Australia without IELTS 2021.
You should note that many colleges and universities in Australia that offer courses in the English language on their campus charge very differently for these courses. The fees for this course would not be added or included in your academic, application, or tuition fees, and there will be a different and separate fee for such courses and programmes. So now, I hope that a student knows everything about studying in this amazing nation without IELTS.
So now, let’s talk about the final question: how to apply for a student visa in Australia without IELTS? The process is straightforward and simple: You need to provide proof and evidence regarding your admission to an Australian university that doesn’t require an IELTS scorecard, and you will get the confirmation and approval of your visa. Remember that IELTS isn’t a mandatory requirement for most colleges or universities. However, it is recommended for students while applying for a student visa in this fascinating nation.
Final Takeaway Tip- Do check properly all the documents required for applying for a college or university in Australia that doesn’t require IELTS.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Can a student study in Australia without IELTS?
A. Some Australian universities, such as the University of Adelaide, University of Southern Australia, Australian National University, and other universities, have provisions to exempt English languages proficiency tests such as TOEFL and IELTS.
Students have many other ways to prove their English language proficiency and skills like show acceptable proof of sufficient English language skills developed through voluntary or paid work ex in a primarily English-speaking professional environment for at least 36 months immediately before pursuing a course in Australia.
You must earn a recognized qualification that is present on the site of the university in Australia you are applying to and qualification listed in equivalent tests, successful completion of master or bachelor degree from an accredited university recognized by the universities in Australia.
You need to finish senior secondary schooling in the English language from a designated nation which the universities in Australia recognize.
Q. Which are the other nations which do not require English language proficiency tests such as IELTS in admission requirements?
A. Some of the universities in Europe, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States of America don’t have stringent English languages proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS.
You can get exemption from this requirement if you have pursued your senior secondary education in your home nation’s English medium. Some of the course programs in the United States of America might grant you admission and ask you to go through English language preparatory courses before commencing the main course.