The excellent small island nation Singapore is one charming spot to work and study abroad. The education system in Singapore is known to be elite and exceptional, attracting students worldwide to learn here.
Singapore offers high quality of education through its highly ranked advanced academic institutions like the National University of Singapore and NTU. The educational expense is lower than other top countries like the USA, UK, etc.
Another reason why students love to study in Singapore? Because of the English-speaking citizens. Singapore has English as its official language, which acts as a great advantage for international students to learn in Singapore.
But besides that, there is another thing to notice: Singapore is one of the world’s most costly places to live in. Most of the students struggle with money issues during their stay in Singapore.
Some of the students apply for grants but the grants do not cover all the expenses, and this is why students prefer doing part-time jobs with their studies to cover the costs of staying in Singapore.
Work while studying can be a great choice to help you with your expenses. It will not fully cover the costs but somehow lessen your financial burden and help you with compensating your living costs.
If you are considering working while studying in Singapore, then here is everything you need to know about work and study in Singapore:
Fundamental Steps to Work and Study in Singapore
Numerous Singaporean organizations or big business companies recruit students from universities as interns in their companies or offer other temporary part-time jobs to such students.
Students wanting to work while studying in Singapore have to satisfy some of the fundamental requirements, which are:
- International students studying in Singapore are only allowed to work while looking if they hold a substantial pass or a legitimate work permit and are additionally attending the university which the Manpower Ministry approves
- Students are allowed to do internships only if they have the legal training employment pass, and that only grant if the internships are part of your training at the course of your study.
- To meet all requirements for this training employment pass, you ought to acquire a fixed compensation of more than SG$ 2,500 month to month or hold a professional degree certificate.
- The Training Work Permit permits you to work in a company in Singapore for as long as six months.
- For the most part, the organization itself sponsors the Training Employment Pass and Training Work Permit and makes applications to the Ministry of Manpower in students’ interest.
It highly recommends checking with the concerned organization or your university about the application procedure for the above-said passes.
Jobs to take up while Studying in Singapore
There will be countless options for you to choose from if you want to work while studying in Singapore.
Suppose you speak some unknown language and have excellent knowledge of foreign dialects like German, French, Italian, etc. In that case, you can undoubtedly fill in as an interpreter or mediator to assist organizations with the translation work.
You can likewise search for part-time jobs on the campuses of your colleges and universities, like working in the library. You can again do part-time jobs at restaurants or hotels, cafes as waiters or cashiers.
You can also consider doing data entry jobs; they will offer you decent compensation.
On the off chance that you genuinely enthuse about doing a part-time job, you can enlist your name with the Careers Team of your university and continue to check for references.
You can also go and search for part-time jobs off-campus, like checking in to different restaurants, hotels, or cafes and see if they are looking for part-time workers.
The compensation of your job relies upon the idea of your work and any extra advantages that you may get.
But the average compensation that the student must get to keep doing work in Singapore ranges between $1000 to $2500 every month.
Singapore Work permit Requirements
Being an international student working while studying in Singapore, you need to acquire a work permit before introducing different prerequisites.
Following are some of the requirements that need to be satisfied to get a work permit in Singapore:
- Students should be 18 years of age or more which is the lawful most minor age allowed to work in Singapore.
- Students must have a valid passport
- Students should work within limits mentioned in the work permit.
- Candidates should have a legitimate global identification to acquire the work permit
Aside from the previously mentioned requirements, international students working in Singapore should likewise conform to:
- He must not take part in some other business company or go into another business.
- He must work only for the business or company indicated in the work permit.
- He must not marry a Singapore permanent resident in or outside Singapore without having the endorsement from the Ministry of Manpower.
The charges payable at the time of applying for a Singapore Work permit or Work Pass are 60 US dollars.
While 30 US dollars should pay while presenting the application, the leftover 30 US dollars are needed to pay when the work pass finally grant.
Now, to apply for your work permit in Singapore, you have to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- The first step is to fill out the application form for a work permit
- Then be ready to appear in front of the employer.
- Get your work permit registered.
- Also, get your fingerprints and photograph registered with your work permit.
- Then, at last, the work permit will be issued to you.
Working after Graduation:
Many postgraduate and some undergraduate study programs offered by Singaporean universities, especially the professional degree, incorporate internships as an essential part of the educational plan.
These internships are usually of 3-4 months, and many times after completing their internships, students are offered full-time jobs in the companies.
Once you get a job offer from a company, you ought to apply for a legal Employment Pass to work legally in Singapore.
The Singapore government works productively, and if every one of your papers is set up, you can get your Employment Pass with no issue.