Gonzaga University is an accredited institution located in Spokane, Washington. The Society of Jesus founded this private, Roman Catholic University in 1887. The university is a residential setting about half a mile away from downtown Spokane and consists of 152 acres of land with over 105 buildings.
Through its 7 colleges, Gonzaga University offers bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees to students. These colleges include the school of education, school of professional studies, school of law, college of arts and sciences, school of engineering & applied science, school of nursing and human physiology as well as the school of business administration.
The University ranks 4th in the list of regional ranking of universities in the west, which includes a 1st place for undergraduate teaching and 6th in the list of value schools.
The admission office at Gonzaga University considers the following documents as part of the application:
- SAT scores: Students of the incoming class had an average SAT score of 1260
- Curriculum and School: While there is no set GPA requirement, the University pays attention to the high-school curriculum of a prospective candidate to assess the candidature.
- GPA and grade trends: The broad trend of a student’s GPA is taken note of during the evaluation process for admission to Gonzaga University.
- Activities and Honours: Prominent Co-curricular activities or special honors for a particular task can be mentioned in this area to have a positive impact on the office of admission.
- College Essay: College Essay is the only medium to subjectively state your thoughts, aspirations, and achievements until high school to the University’s office of admission.
- Character: The University asks every prospective student about any disciplinary history or criminal action. While its presence is not the sole criteria for rejection, the school will consider the circumstances and context of the violation while deciding on the admission.
Gonzaga University offers a portal called commonapp.org for university application from first-year, international and transfer students. The engineering and nursing programs at the university are direct entry programs which need to be stated in the application form for consideration.
After getting admitted to a course, if you change your mind, you can also defer your admission to the university for a year. However, if you take up any other course at any college in this one year of deferment, you have to apply again. The deferment policy is not applicable in cases of students granted financial aid.
Visiting the campus at Gonzaga University is one of the best ways to find out the suitability of its courses and culture to your needs and goals. Students who want to determine if the university is the perfect fit for their candidature can email at email@example.com.
Guided campus tours along with one residence hall visit are organized by the university every day from Monday to Friday at designated times. Not only this, Saturday visits, nursing Fridays, overnight Visit, admission interview, faculty meetings, and group visits are all part of the process to make you feel at ease with the university and the complete student experience even before taking up the offer for admission.
Gonzaga University offers an overnight visit from Sunday to Thursday wherein prospective students can stay overnight with a Gonzaga student host in a residence hall. Admission interviews are also available for a talk with admission counselors on your specific academic interests and opportunities for scholarships and financial aid.
Admission Acceptance Rate
Gonzaga University had an acceptance rate of around 67.5% for the class of 2021, which means that out of the almost 7162 applications that the university received for this batch, 4835 were accepted.
For the class of 2022, the university had applications from 8400 students, out of which 5512 were accepted, resulting in an acceptance rate of 66%. Tests accepted by the university for consideration during admission include SAT Math, SAT Critical Reading, and ACT Composite.
Fees and Scholarships
Gonzaga University has average tuition fees of around $44,280 across its various courses. The fees for room and boarding is separate for students who wish to stay in the halls of residence. The student financial services program at the university works to remove financial barriers to education at Gonzaga. So much so, about two-thirds of students who apply qualify for assistance and the university provides some form of aid to over 95% of students.
Most of the students admitted to Gonzaga University receive financial aid on the basis of merit in academics. The office of admission awards these scholarships which are based on GPA at high school, involvement in co-curricular activities, teacher recommendations and scores in standardized tests like SAT and ACT.
Outside scholarships provided by many organizations in the community are also available for admission into Gonzaga University.
The list of scholarships available at Gonzaga University is as follows:
- Dauna Leigh Bauer Scholarship – For outstanding academics – $ 2000 a year
- Daniel G Brajcich Scholarships – For accounting and business students – $2500 a year
- Gonzaga Leaders Scholarship – For students displaying leadership – $5000 a year
- Global Diversity Scholarship – For international students – Variable value
- Charlotte Y Martin Scholarship – From Montana students – $5000 a year
- Gonzaga Alumni Scholarships – For the first year and transfer students – $2500 to $15000 a year
- Music Scholarships – For students accomplished in music – Value varies
In total, the university offers a lot of scholarships opportunities, both internal and external, to prospective students. The average financial aid package offered was approximately $30,000 in the academic year 2018-19, while for international students this aid package was around $31,800.
The Bottom Line
Gonzaga University offers a reasonable amount of financial aid to both national and international students. Along with this, the curriculum at Gonzaga encourages scientific thinking, promotes industrial and research excellence along with an emphasis on friendly student policies and a simplified admissions process.
Any student appearing for SAT or ACT can apply to the university and take part in the admissions process at Gonzaga, which ranks no. 1 in undergraduate teaching among regional universities in the west.