Learning about the visa application process of a nation before you can apply into one of the foreign universities is a wise step to take. The UK happens to be one of the most desired places for international students to pursue their studies. This guide will help you understand the requirements of a student visa application process in the UK.
All students that are a part of the EU or EFTA can study in the UK without having to apply for a visa. This, however, is valid only till Brexit happens. Students of other nationals need to apply for a student’s visa for which it is compulsory that they get accepted for one of the courses, colleges, or universities in the UK.
Types of Student Visa
- Short Stay Study Visa should be applied by students that have enrolled for a 6-month course or an English language course for up to 11 months and not more. Those that are applying for an 11-month visa need to be at least 18 years of age.
- Tier 4 Student Visa (General) should be applied by students that have got admission in courses that last more than six months
- Tier 4 Student Visa (Child) should be applied by children aged between 4 and 17 that wish to study abroad. They must have a placement in a school before their arrival in the UK.
How to Apply for a UK Student Visa
After you have received an unconditional offer from one of the colleges or universities in the UK, you can apply for a UK student visa. You can apply for the visa online from your home country, or you can visit one of the UK visa application centres in your home country.
Documents Required in Applying for a UK Student Visa
Here is a list of documents that are needed for an international student looking to apply for a UK student visa:
- Valid Passport
- Proof that you can cover your cost of living in the UK and the study fees
- Parental or guardian’s proof for you to study in the UK in case you are under the age of 18
- Proof of acceptance from the university, college or course that you have enrolled in
- Proof of having paid the healthcare surcharge
- If you belong to one of the countries listed here, then you need to provide a test stating you are free of tuberculosis.
- The processing time for a UK student visa may differ for each one depending on which country you are applying from.
- The official UK website of UK Visas and Immigration provides you details on various visa-related information such as reporting a change in situations, how to get documents back, cost of student visa in the UK, etc.
- Students can check their visa application details online once they have created an account in the UK Visas and Immigration website.
- Students may have to register their visa details with the UK police. They are informed about this through a letter or a sticker sent by the UK Home Office. You can get an overview about this rule here.
Fees for UK Student Visa
Currently, the fees charged by the authorities are as below that are subject to change:
- Short stay visa for 6 months – £89
- Short stay visa for 11 months – £17
- Tier 4 (General) student visa – £328
- Tier 4 (Child) student visa – £328
Students that are in the UK on short term visa are not permitted to work. The Tier students are allowed to work. The permitted hours depend on your age and the courses that you have undertaken.