Tongji University is providing financial assistance to needy international students through its International Doctoral Scholarships. The applications for the program are open for students who have finished their bachelor and master study in a well-known foreign academic institution.
The University is distributing these funds intending to support the higher education of deserving candidates for the year 2021-2022. The scholarships will be applied to tuition fees for students studying at the university for any doctoral degrees.
Tongji University is known as a comprehensive university located in Shanghai. Established in 1907 by the German government and German physicians in Shanghai, the unniversity is one of the oldest and most selective, most prestigious universities in China. It is a Chinese Ministry of Education Class A Double First Class University. The University is especially renowned for its engineering, business and architecture programs
The applicant must meet up with the following eligibility criteria to apply for the scholarship:
- The candidate must be an international student.
- Applicants must be under 40 years old and hold a non-Chinese passport.
- Applicants must finish their bachelor and master study in a well-known foreign academic institution or a Double-First Class university in China;
- Applicants should have finished master study and have got a master degree.
- Applicants should have an excellent academic performance with an average grade no less than 85 or GPA no less than 3.8.
- Applicants should show excellent research capability and potential for future development. One article as the first author or two items as the second author in SCI, EI, SSCI, A&HCI, CSSCI or peer journals should be published during their master’s learning period.
- Applicants should receive no other scholarship or funding from the Chinese government or universities.
- Applicants should have a good command of English. For detailed information, please refer to the requirement of the documents.
Acceptable Courses and Subjects
The scholarships are open to studying a doctoral degree program in the following fields:
- Visual Studies
Why study at Tongji University?
Tongji University has been one of the most popular universities in the country, attracting many students from all parts of China and all over the world. In particular, the university has become the number one choice of those pursuing a career in architecture and civil engineering.
Benefits of the Programs
The scholarship will be awarded as follows:
- Tuition fees
- Tongji University will waive the tuition fee once the applicant is awarded this scholarship.
- Living expenses for international doctoral students: 5000 yuan per month, 12 times a year
- The university ensures on-campus accommodation. Admitted students can apply for the on-campus dormitory of Tongji University.
- The university provides comprehensive medical insurance and significant diseases and accidents insurance for international students.
How to Apply for the Scholarship
To apply for the scholarships, fellows are needed to follow these steps:
Step 1: Apply for Admission
Students must refer to the below link for information about the enrollment of Tongji University. Contact the supervisor of your field and fill the 同济大学国际博士生奖学金申请表 APPLICATION FORM OF TONGJI UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP FOR INTERNATIONAL PHD STUDENTS.doc. Then send the form and all the other documents to your supervisor by e-mail. The records with the supervisor’s opinion on the application form will be returned to the applicant. Log in to Tongji University Online Application System (http://study-info.tongji.edu.cn) to finish the online application procedure, upload all the supporting documents and then your application is completed.
Step 2: Submit Required Documents
- High school Diploma Certificate
- School transcripts already available
- Transcripts from the prior school
- Post-Secondary Transcription
- Official survey results
- Start / Course Vitae
- A paper copy of the applicant’s passport (information page).
- 3. Paper copy of the degree and graduation certificate.
- Language proficiency documents
- Original recommendation letters provided from two professors or associate professors (contact information is necessary).
- Personal statement with around 1500 words in Chinese (Chinese-taught programs) or English (English-taught programs) should include study and work experience, academic research achievement, research plan and personal prospect after graduation.
- Physical examination form for foreigners issued within the last six months or a valid Chinese visa.
- Payment evidence
- Fellows must meet the general country or study curriculum entry requirement.
- You must demonstrate English language skills and meet the general admission criteria following the country/curriculum you studied.
- Over 18 years old (No later than 31st. Dec of that year), high school graduate or above, non-Chinese citizen, and good health.
International students who are going to study in China should prepare an admission letter, yellow sheet of JW201 or JW202 form, medical report and other documents, and apply for an entry visa of X1 (long-term study) or X2 (short- term study) at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in the students’ home countries.
To apply for a residence permit in China after entry, international students must get back the admission letter, yellow sheet of JW201 or JW202 form and other documents after applying for an entry visa from the Chinese Embassy or Consulate.
For the spring semester:
From November to December.
For the fall semester:
From January to April
Contact address: +86 (21) 659 822 00
University location: 1238 Gonghexin Rd, Zhongshan North Road, Zha Bei Qu, Shanghai, China