Writing always improves your creativity, imagination, knowledge and connects you with yourself. So, if you also want to articulate yourself through the written word, then you must apply for the Caine Prize for African Writing.
This Prize is a yearly literature award granted to the writer of an African short story to strengthen and highlight the diversity of African writing. In addition to this, it also focuses on the short story that reflects the contemporary development of the African story-telling tradition.
Hurry Up!! Apply as early as possible and get the chance to enjoy this luxurious offer. Good luck!!
To be eligible for Caine Prize for African Writing, the candidates must follow the given criteria:
- Unpublished work is not eligible for the Caine Prize.
- Presentations should be made by publishers only.
- Only fictional work is eligible.
- Only one story per author will be considered in any one year.
- Submissions should specify which African country the author comes from and the word count.
- They require 6 copies of the work in its originally published version.
- If the work is published in a book or journal, they would like to receive at least one copy of the book/journal and five photocopies; but particularly where several stories are submitted from one anthology they would like if possible to receive six copies of the book/journal itself.
- If the work is published online, they would like to receive six photocopies.
- Please note that tasks that do not meet the criteria will not be considered for the award.
- Do not waste your own time and postage by sending in a material which is unsuitable.
- Works not eligible for entry include stories for children, factual writing, plays, biography, works shorter than 3000 words and unpublished work.
- There is no application form. To apply please send six original published copies of the work for consideration to the Caine Prize office including a letter from the publisher.
- If the work is published in a book or journal, they would like to receive at least one copy of the book/journal and five photocopies; but particularly where several stories are submitted from one anthology we would like if possible to receive six copies of the book/journal itself.
- If published in a magazine or journal we will accept one original copy plus five photocopies but would prefer six original copies.
- If the work is published online, they would like to receive six printed copies.
- There is a cash prize of £10,000 for the winning author and a travel award for each of the short-listed candidates (up to five in all).
- The shortlisted candidates will also receive a Prize of £500.
- The winner is also invited to go to three literature festivals in Kenya, South Africa, and Nigeria.
Application Deadline: Entries must be submitted by January 31, 2020