New Zealand is a small country spread across two islands. It is home to around eight colleges offering a top-notch quality of education and attracts many international students every year.
New Zealand‘s eight colleges are positioned among the world’s best 3% colleges, thanks to its world-class education system, research facilities, brilliant framework, and massive tie-ups with outside associations and ventures.
Many international students seeking to study abroad anticipate studying in New Zealand as one of their top preferences.
Also, being an English-speaking country, there are many English-taught courses in New Zealand for international students.
And because of that, many times, students have to demonstrate their English language proficiency to comprehend and get familiar with the English taught programs through tests like IELTS and TOEFL.
Suppose you are looking forward to seeking higher education in New Zealand but couldn’t show up for an English capability test like IELTS, which is usually a fundamental requirement, no issues. In that case, there are still many alternate choices you can browse.
This article summarizes all the best alternatives to study in New Zealand without IELTS:
How to study in New Zealand without IELTS?
IELTS and TOEFL are the language tests taken by all foreign countries worldwide to test the candidate’s fluency and capability to speak and comprehend English.
The colleges in New Zealand utilize different boundaries to evaluate international students’ English language capability, and IELTS is also one of them.
Even though it is the most favored method of evaluation, there are still many other alternatives required to be satisfied to get admission in such colleges without IELTS.
International students can study in New Zealand without IELTS if they somehow satisfy specific other required standards for confirmation.
Following are some of the standards you need to satisfy to study in New Zealand universities without IELTS:
- A student should have studied in an English-medium school, from grade 8 to 12, regardless of whatever the education board or nation is. This condition must be satisfied by every one of the students hoping to get enlisted in New Zealand universities.
- Student can likewise submit evidence of having achieved five years of English medium training at the essential level or three years at the higher auxiliary level in school
- If the student doesn’t show up for an IELTS, then he or she will have to qualify for a video or skype interview conducted by the university itself in which the university will test his English language proficiency
- Also, applying for a study visa in New Zealand, the New Zealand Immigration authority interviews students without IELTS. You are required to qualify for that interview to get your student visa.
Visa interview tips
When applying for a student visa without IELTS, you will need to show up for a student visa interview directed by New Zealand immigration specialists to evaluate the language capability of the students.
Following are some of the tips to follow to qualify for your visa interview to get admission in New Zealand universities without IELTS:
- The first thing the New Zealand immigration specialists will check is whether the university you have applied for comes under the category of the universities to study without IELTS.
- Then your insight into the English language and English communication abilities will be evaluated by the specialists.
- The documents required at the time of the interview are copies of your academic records etc.
Documents required to study in New Zealand without IELTS
Some documents will require at the time of applying to study in new Zeland without IELTS that the student must present are:
- Marksheets of the schools, proving student’s whole tutoring was in English medium school.
- Mark sheets from Grade 8 to 12, showing that the training in higher auxiliary was in English.
- A Bonafide Certificate affirms that the understudy has shown up for every one of the tests directed by the schools in English medium.
- Testaments of other language capability tests like TOEFL, PTE, CPE, ESOL, CAE, and so on if vital.
Top universities to study in New Zealand without IELTS
Below are some of the colleges in New Zealand where a student can apply to study New Zealand without IELTS.
Also, make sure that you check your course requirements at each of the university’s official websites and then apply for a particular course.
University of Auckland
Even though IELTS is the favored choice for evaluating English capability, the university of Auckland additionally acknowledges other testaments like TOEFL, PTE, University of Auckland Foundation Certificate in English for Academic Purposes (FCertEAP), University of Auckland English Pathway for Undergraduate Studies (EPUS), and so on.
University of Otago
If the candidate can’t satisfy any of the above standards, they can likewise settle on the English for Otago Program to Qualify for Admission at Otago University.
The University of Otago acknowledges a large portion of the other English capability tests like TOEFL, PTE, University of Auckland Foundation Certificate in English for Academic Purposes (FCertEAP), CPE, CAE, etc.
University of Canterbury
International students can prove their language capability in the English language by showing verification of completing their academic qualification from an English medium institute or an English-speaking country.
Also, the University of Canterbury acknowledges the scores of English capability tests other than IELTS, for example, TOEFL, PTE, CPE, CAE, and so forth
A portion of the acknowledged tests in Lincoln university incorporates TOEFL, PTE, NZCEL, etc.
Furthermore, Lincoln college likewise has its own English Language Program. Students completing this course do not need to prove their language capabilities.
Unitec Institute of Technology
This Institute of Technology acknowledges a large portion of the globally perceived English capability tests, including TOEFL, PTE, CPE, CAE, and so forth, for students studying in New Zealand without IELTS.
Furthermore, It likewise has a different English language program for students who can’t fulfill the above measures.