The applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meets all the required eligibility criteria are invited to apply for the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) 2022 Research Fellowship Program
The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a nongovernmental organization. Its Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded with goodwill to Dr Shigeyoshi Matsumae’s call. These fellowships are open to the applicants who are non-Japanese nationality holding a doctorate degree.
Successful applicants can get a monthly allowance for research and stay, insurance, air transportation (round-trip air tickets to/from Tokyo), start-up fund upon arrival.
|Scholarship Sponsor||Matsumae International Foundation|
|Scholarships level||Fellowship Program|
|Award Amount||JPY 220,000/month is provided for the purpose of expenses for research materials and living expenses.|
|Fellowship Period||3 to 6 months within the period between April and March|
|Study area||Natural Science, Engineering and Medicine|
|Number of Fellowship Recipients||10 or less|
|Opening date||April 1, 2021|
|Closing date||June 30, 2021|
Fields of research such as natural science, engineering and medicine are considered with first priorities.
The applicant of non-Japanese nationality who meets all the following eligibility requirements is invited to
submit application documents.
- Applicant must obtain a Letter of Invitation from Host Institution in Japan.
- Applicant must hold a PhD (Doctoral degree).
- Applicant must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when application documents
- Applicant must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- Applicant should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan.
(Except for short-term stays such as sightseeing and conferences)
- Applicant must have an occupation in your home county, return there upon completion of your
fellowship tenure and should contribute to the development of your country.
The following financial supports are provided to successful applicants.
Fellowships are provided to the successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances, this fellowship is transferable.
Monthly Allowance — JPY 220,000/month is provided for the purpose of expenses for research materials and living expenses.
Insurance — Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance:
- Personal accident insurance with death benefit and
- Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
Air Transportation — Round-trip air tickets: Economy class, the most direct and the economical route between the nearest international airport from
the successful applicant’s domicile and Tokyo.
Start-up Fund upon Arrival — JPY120,000 is provided to cover the initial costs to start a new research stay in Japan.
Applicant must submit the required documents in accordance with the latest announcement which can be downloaded from MIF’s website.
Your application documents must be submitted to the following email address. Submit to: [email protected]
- Applications are evaluated by the Screening Committee of MIF on the basis of academic value and the degree of perfection of the research projects. The results will be announced on MIF’s website in December 2021.
- MIF will send Grant Letters to successful applicants.
- MIF neither announces the discussions by our Screening Committee nor accepts inquiries about the individual application cases.
- MIF will not comment on the reasons for the decisions made by the Screening Committee