A number of PhD studentship positions are available at the Technical University of Denmark for doing fundamental investigations in relation to “The VILLUM Center for the Science of Sustainable Fuels and Chemicals” (V-SUSTAIN) at SurfCat.
The period of employment is three years, and the PhD thesis must be delivered during this period.
|Scholarship Sponsor||Technical University of Denmark|
|Scholarships level||PhD studentship|
|Fellowship Period||Three years|
|Study area||Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering|
|Opening date||February 22, 2021|
|Closing date||March 15, 2021|
VILLUM FONDEN has granted 150 million DKK over the next eight years to “The Villum Center for the Science of Sustainable Fuels and Chemicals” (V-SUSTAIN). The explicit aim of the centre is to phase out fossil fuels and thereby alleviate the negative impact the continuous use of these have on the earth’s climate and environment.
PhD positions are available at V-SUSTAIN to work on fundamental experimental studies of new catalysts in the area of:
- Thermal heterogeneous catalysis for CO2 hydrogenation into methanol and higher hydrocarbons or Nitrogen into ammonia
- Electrochemical reactions of mass-selected clusters for water splitting, oxygen reduction reactions, reduction of CO2 to fuels and chemicals, and Electrochemical reduction of N2 to ammonia
A significant part of V-SUSTAIN takes place at Surface Physics & Catalysis (SURFACT) at the Department of Physics at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) (currently 30 PhD students and 12 Postdocs). Here we enjoy a social, open and transparent scientific environment. The PhD students will be able to take full advantage of many personnel working in adjacent fields of investigation, from surface science on single crystals to the testing of high surface area catalysts in reactors.
The work will be focused on testing and characterisation of new catalysts using state of the in-house art facilities, especially of mass-selected nanoparticles with specific desired compositions. It relies heavily on a close collaboration between theory and experiment, where the most promising catalysts are identified by in-silico screening. It will therefore be in partnership with other partners of V-SUSTAIN at Copenhagen University, Stanford University and DTU.
When applying, please indicate which of the two projects you are most interested in applying for and motivate your choice and a possible earliest starting date. Notice candidates finalising their master in August may apply now.
The deadline for applications is March 15, 2021
Approval and Enrolment
The PhD degree scholarship is subject to academic approval, and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of DTU, for example, in Mathematics, Physics and Informatics. For information about the general requirements for enrolment and the available planning of the scholarship studies, please see the DTU PhD Guide.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. The position can start anytime in 2021.
For further information about the research at SurfCat at the Department of Physics at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), please inspect www.surfcat.dtu.dk.
- The successful candidates will have obtained excellent grades in his/her Bachelor and Masters degrees.
- He/she should also be well-motivated, hardworking and willing and able to work as part of a team.
- Candidates for the PhD positions should have a Masters’ degree in Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Materials Science by the time they commence the project.
- Candidates who have shown interest/had experience in the surface science/catalysis/electrochemistry approach will be preferred.
Your complete application must be submitted no later than March 15 2021 (Danish time). Applications must be submitted as one and one only PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. Multiple files will not be considered. To apply, please open the link “Apply online,” fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file and one file ONLY. The file must include:
- A cover letter of motivating the application. (Max one page)
- A curriculum vitae
- A list of publications, if any
- Copies of BSc, MSc and PhD degree diplomas
- Mandatory excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and excel spreadsheet here)
- Names and e-mail addresses or telephone numbers of 2 references
You may apply before obtaining your master’s degree but cannot begin before having received it with an acceptable grade, 10 or 12.
All interested candidates, irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background, are encouraged to apply.