Research concerns the organization of institutions, firms, industries and markets in an international context, focusing on innovation and corporate renewal.
|Scholarship Sponsor||University KU Leuven|
|Scholarships level||PhD Scholarship|
|Award Amount||Not Specified|
|Fellowship Period||Four years|
|Study area||Management, Strategy and Innovation|
|Opening date||February 22, 2021|
|Closing date||June 30, 2021|
The department of Management, Strategy and Innovation (MSI) of the Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) is a multidisciplinary research group bundling expertise in the areas of Strategy, Industrial Organization, Political Economy, International Business, Management and Entrepreneurship.
The department includes faculty members across the three campuses of the FEB located in Leuven, Brussels and Antwerp, and also hosts the expertise centre on R&D monitoring, ECOOM. The department currently has about 25 faculty members, 30 PhD students and ten postdocs.
The researcher to be hired will work in the field of the economics of science and innovation under the supervision of a team consisting of Prof. Stijn Kelchtermans (MSI), Prof. Cindy Lopes Bento (MSI), Prof. Arvids Ziedonis (MSI), prof. Sandra Rousseau (CEDON) and prof. Nick Deschacht (ECON). The research project should lead to a PhD degree in Business Economics.
The project will analyze the composition of scientific teams and the relation with funding success, productivity and the career progress of their members. Methodologically, the emphasis lies on quantitative methods (econometric analysis) guided by theory development. An extensive database has been collected for the project but needs to be cleaned for analysis. It follows that the candidate is expected to have excellent hands-on data skills or is willing to invest in such skills (in particular in Stata).
He/she will find a dynamic and pleasant working environment in a group actively involved in scientific research at the highest international level. The team is based on the Brussels campus, but the PhD student will participate in department seminars on the Leuven campus.
Candidates are expected to participate in seminars and conferences, be internationally mobile and to enrol in (and complete) the PhD program in Business Economics. The candidate can be asked to give guidance to Bachelor and Master students, to be involved in teaching activities and to supervise exams
The deadline for applications is June 30, 2021
- Candidates should have a strong interest in quantitative research (applied econometrics) and preferably hold a Master’s degree in Business Engineering (Handelsingenieur) or (Business) Economics.
- Graduation with honours in preliminary studies is a requirement for entry into the PhD program, as well as an appropriate command of written and spoken English (TOEFL: a minimum score of 575 paper-based, 233 computer-based, 90 internet-based, or IELTS: a minimum score of 7).
- Experience with data handling and programming/scripting (Stata, R, Python) is an asset.
- Students who are currently in the final year of their Masters are especially encouraged to apply. Having a Research Master degree is considered a plus.
- All applicants should check the admission requirements for the doctoral program in Business Economics at the Faculty of Economics and Business here and supply all necessary information (proof of proficiency in English, GRE/GMAT, letter of motivation, transcripts of degrees) application.
- Candidates are encouraged to include a piece of their research, e.g. an assignment paper or (part of) your Master’s thesis.
We offer employment as a full-time doctoral scholar for one year, renewable up to a maximum of 4 years after positive evaluation. The tentative starting date is September 20, 2021, depending on the availability of the candidate.
For more information, please contact Prof. dr. Stijn Kelchtermans, mail: [email protected]
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at [email protected]