The University of Twente has an excellent PhD position in science and technology. The programme aims to assist specifically international students who would like to take a full-time PhD programme in the Netherlands. The project aims to control the spontaneous emission of excited quantum emitters (quantum dots, dye molecules) with three-dimensional (3D) photonic bandgap crystals, especially photonic quasi-crystals.
|Scholarship Sponsor||University of Twente|
|Scholarships level||PhD Position|
|Award Amount||€2395,- to € 3061|
|Fellowship Period||Four years|
|Study area||Science & Technology|
|Opening date||February 16, 2021|
|Closing date||March 15, 2021|
In the NWO-funded research program “Photonic Quasi-crystals with a Band Gap”. Our project partners in Utrecht have achieved a breakthrough by developing a method to fabricate quasi crystals using advanced self-assembly methods. In parallel, our group has achieved a breakthrough in the fabrication of Si photonic band gap crystals using CMOS-compatible methods.
Emission control and photonic band gap crystals are high-tech tools, and enable devices that contribute to efficient miniature light sources (LEDs, lasers), photovoltaic light collection in solar cells, and sensitive detectors for biochemical applications. Our NWO program joins the multi-disciplinary efforts of chemists, mathematicians and theorists (from Utrecht and Twente) with our experimental approach.
Project, supervisors, embedding team:
Our group pioneered time-resolved spontaneous emission control in nanophotonics [see J. Opt. 22 (2020) 073501] notably with photonic crystals and photonic band gaps. You will be part of the Complex Photonic Systems (COPS) chair in the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechology (https://nano-cops.com), supervised by profs. Willem Vos, Ad Lagendijk, and Bill Barnes.
The deadline for applications is March 15, 2021
- We are looking for a candidate who has been trained as a physicist or engineer.
- Good experimental expertise is crucial, and the know-how of optics and light scattering is a bonus.
- The successful candidate will contribute experimental skills to a team that also include theorists.
- Candidates should be proficient in English, be good communicators and team players, and enjoy interdisciplinary collaborations with scientists from other fields.
- Excellent and dynamic environment for researchers within our institute MESA+ (www.utwente.nl/mesa), an attractive campus and many facilities for sports and leisure, a lively city with a vibrant cultural life (art, jazz);
- You will be appointed for up to 4 years as a PhD student.
- Terms of employment in accordance with Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO), include:
- Gross salary ranging from €2395,- to € 3061,-per month;
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus (effectively corresponds to 14 months’ salary per annum);
- A pension scheme that is part of the famous Dutch pension system.
Please send your application before the 15th of March and ideally consists of the following documents:
- A motivation letter describing why you are the best candidate for this position.
- Description of your research interests.
- A detailed CV including a list of publications.
- Contact information (incl. email address) of at least three references.
For inquiries please contact the COPS secretary Ms. Nicole Meinster ([email protected])