The University of Luxembourg is looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference in Software Verification. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place! The University of Luxembourg is offering a PhD Position in Computer Science for the academic session 2021-2022.
As a successful candidate, you will join the Security, Reasoning and Validation (SeRVal) group of the SnT, under Dr Maxime Cordy’s supervision. You will contribute to research work in the area of Software Verification.
|Scholarship Sponsor||University of Luxembourg|
|Scholarships level||PhD Position|
|Award Amount||Not Specified|
|Fellowship Period||Three years|
|Study area||Computer Science|
|Opening date||February 23, 2021|
SnT is a leading international research and innovation centre in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services. We play an instrumental role in Luxembourg by fueling innovation through research partnerships with industry, boosting R&D investments leading to economic growth, and attracting highly qualified talent.
As a successful candidate, you will join the Security, Reasoning and Validation (SeRVal) group of the SnT, under Dr Maxime Cordy’s supervision. You will contribute to research work in the area of Software Verification. Such research concerns the development of theories, techniques and tools to ensure that software systems behave according to their expected requirements. More specifically, the verification topics that may be explored include (but are not limited to):
- Statistical model checking
- Improving verification with deep learning
- Completeness and consistency of formal specifications
- Verification for variability-intensive software systems
- Verification for cyber-physical systems
- Verification for AI systems
The project results are expected to apply to multiple use cases, e.g., automotive systems, satellite, smart grids, smart factories, etc., in collaboration with partners of the group. Depending on your profile, the project can focus more on theory, development and/or applications. However, all three aspects are expected to be covered during the project.
The Supervision Team You Will Be Working With Is
- Maxime Cordy: supervisor
- Yves Le Traon: head of SerVal
You Will Be Required To Perform The Following Tasks
- Researching the predefined areas
- Survey the scientific literature in the relevant research domains
- Disseminating results through scientific publications
- Communicate with the partner to collect requirements and report results
- Implement proof-of-concept software tools
The application is open
Qualification: The candidate should possess an MSc degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science with strong programming skills.
Experience: The ideal candidate should have some knowledge and/or experience in a number of the following topics:
- Formal verification
- Temporal logic
- Software engineering
- Machine learning and AI
- Decidability and complexity
Strong software development skills are mandatory.
Here’s what awaits you at SnT
- A stimulating learning environment. Here post-docs and professors outnumber PhD students. That translates into access and close collaborations with some of the brightest ICT researchers, giving you trustworthy guidance
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 45 industry partners
- Multiple funding sources for your ideas. The University supports researchers to acquire funding from national, European and private sources
- Competitive salary package. The University offers a 12 month-salary package, over six weeks of paid time off, health insurance and subsidised living and eating
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT, we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
But wait, there’s more!
- The complete picture of the perks we offer
- Discover our Partnership Programme
- Download the brochure: Why choose SnT for your PhD?
Students can take advantage of several opportunities for growth and career development, from free language classes to career resources and extracurricular activities.
Applications should be submitted online and include:
- Full CV, including a list of publications and name (and email address, etc.) of three referees
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken
- Research statement and topics of particular interest to the candidate (300 words)
- Motivation letter
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is positively encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as critical values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only in the recruitment and career progression of our staff.