Immigration New Zealand has introduced new changes for the current Pilot Pathway Student Visa that it will be permanent by 2021, with some other changes. This Pathway Student Visa is for international students who want to study up to 3 consecutive programs of study with approved education providers on a single visa for up to five years.
The Visa is only available for study with the approved Pathway education providers and some courses of study. And this student visa pilot will continue until January 2021 when it becomes a permanent visa category.
The three different curriculum items can be completed in one educational institution or different types of courses offered by various educational institutions. Candidates may apply for a pathway student visa only if they have offers from one or more pathway education providers who are participating in the Pathway Student Visa pilot. The pilot is available for selected primary, secondary and tertiary providers.
The Pathway Student Visa Pilot initially was launched in December 2015 to permit overseas students to study on a single student visa for three consecutive courses for up to 5 years. Visa is only available for study program with approved education providers and specific courses of study.
Table of Contents
In addition to not having to change your visa for up to 5 years, with a Pathway Student Visa, you can also enjoy:
- Through this visa program, students can stay for up to five years.
- Students can study up to three courses programs, one after the other on a single student visa.
- Students can work part-time for up to 20 hours a week when they are studying and the full time of vacation depends on their course of study.
- Spouses and children cannot be guaranteed when applying for a visa, but they can apply for a visa by virtue of their relationship with the applicant.
Conditions for Entry Permission
- On arrival in New Zealand, you will have to apply for entry permission. You can do this by completing the arrival card, which is given to you on the way to New Zealand.
- The applicant must also show proof that he/she is capable of paying the school fees and financially supporting themselves.
- You must meet our character requirements.
- You must give your photo or provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan if asked.
- You need to provide proof of any further travel or money required by the terms of your visa.
- When you enrol until your visa expires, you should maintain your medical and travel insurance policy while studying in New Zealand.
- You must have sufficient money to support yourself for everything while you are in New Zealand or have a sponsor.
How Does It Work for Students?
- Pathway Student Visas facilitate to complete a qualification plan as it is long enough.
- To stay in New Zealand with a Pathway student visa, students are still required to meet pre-expectations for any second and third courses on their study path.
Changes to the Pathway Student Visa in 2021
There are two changes to the Pathway Student Visa when it becomes permanent in January 2021.
- Education providers will only be eligible to be a Pathway education provider if 80% of the applications received from offshore students intend to study with them.
- The restrictions will be updated around the study pathway starting with English language studies so that they are consistent with the English language requirements for international students set out in the New Zealand Qualification Framework (NZQF) Program Approval and Accreditation Rules 2018.
Benefits to Education Providers
- The Pathway Student Visa reduces cost and hassle.
- The Visa provides certainty for students and their families
- The Pathway Student Visa lets students concentrate on their studies rather than having to worry about visa applications, and
- The Pathway Student Visa makes the transition between courses of study smoother.
- If the educational institution currently on the list can no longer meet the requirements, they can leave the Pathway project.
- The Immigration Department will develop a guaranteed process to ensure that these qualified educational institutions fulfil their obligations, and this information will be shared with industry professionals related to the international education industry.