Applications are currently open for the International Master’s Award of Excellence arranged by the University of Waterloo. The awards are available for international students with a valid Canadian study permit and a full-time registration.
The scholarship funds are organized to provide sufficient financial support to talented applicants for their university studies. The award will help students in covering up their expenses related to a research-based graduate program.
The University of Waterloo
The University of Waterloo is known as a public research university with the main campus located in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. It also operates three satellite campuses and four affiliated university colleges. The university provides academic programs administered by six faculties and thirteen faculty-based schools. Waterloo operates the largest post-secondary co-operative education program globally, with over 20,000 undergraduate students enrolled in the university’s co-op program.
The applicant must meet up the following eligibility criteria to apply for the scholarship:
- Must be international students with a valid Canadian study permit who are registered full time and assessed international tuition fees.
- For students in research-based programs (thesis or major research paper).
- Open to students entering the first term of their program (term 1.0).
- Students must demonstrate academic excellence through criteria established by the Faculty.
- Students must meet the academic progress requirements of their program and not have outstanding probationary admission requirements.
- This award could be in addition to other internal or external scholarships (e.g., UW Graduate Scholarship, OGS, etc.). Note: scholarships are different than sponsorships – see next bullet.
- Normally, students should not be concurrently receiving foreign government or agency sponsorship (e.g., China Scholarship Council, Libyan sponsorship, etc.) or be fully or partially self-funded more than the Faculty’s minimum levels of support.
- Students’ grandparents under the existing IMSA program cannot be nominated for an IMAE; however, a student previously awarded an IMSA for a previously completed master’s degree can be nominated for an IMAE.
- Faculties may impose stricter eligibility criteria as appropriate.
Acceptable Courses and Subjects
The scholarships are available to studying a graduate degree program in the following fields:
- Visual Studies
Why study at the University of Waterloo?
Waterloo’s alumni community is filled with great examples of how graduates shape the world we live in. It’s also an easy way to see what types of future opportunities there could be for you! Waterloo has Global Ambassadors in 18 countries to help fellow alumni acclimatize to a new city, whether they’re visiting for work or travel.
Benefits of the Programs
The scholarship will be awarded as follows:
- Award valued at $2,500 per term for a maximum of five terms.
- The International Master’s Award of Excellence, valued at $2,500 per term for a maximum of five full-time terms within the allowable program time limits (6 terms), will be awarded to eligible international master’s students normally entering a research-based graduate program at the University of Waterloo.
How to Apply for the Scholarship
For applying to these scholarships, applicants are needed to follow these steps:
Step 1: Apply for Admission
Eligible students will be automatically considered for this award based on their application for admission. Departments and Faculty will define their internal process by selecting recipients based on the eligibility criteria and allocation.
Step 2: Submit Required Documents
- High school Diploma Certificate
- School transcripts already available
- Transcripts from prior school (only if requested)
- Post-Secondary Transcription
- Official survey results
- Start / Course Vitae
- Candidates must meet the general country/study curriculum entry requirement.
- You must demonstrate English language skills and meet the general admission criteria following the country/curriculum you studied.
- High school diploma or equivalent with a minimum of six Grade 12 U or M courses, including all required courses.
- Grade 12 U or M courses must be completed through a school that is inspected and approved by the Ontario Ministry of Education.
- Admission averages depend on the number of applications received and the number of spaces available.
The University of Waterloo provides visa and immigration assistance to university departments, employees, visiting international scholars, and students. Canadian and international laws and requirements change frequently, so it is important to work with us to ensure you meet requirements before finalizing travel plans.
Application Deadline: Open
Contact address: +1 519-888-4567
University location: 200 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada