The high school students have limited working experience, and this is why composing a resume is not easy for them. Also, many of them do not have an idea as to what to include in the resume.
As a high school student, you can create a powerful resume by emphasizing your education, volunteer work alongside experience regarding extracurricular activities. Your resume is an introduction to your potential employer. Therefore, craft it in the best possible manner.
Read More: How to Make a College Resume?
Following tips will help you to write a high school resume. Also, for your guidance, the article includes a resume template with the details you need to add in your high school resume. You can use the template to create a list of information to include in your resume.
What to Include in Your Resume?
- Focus on your education: As a high school student, you need to focus on your education. Include the information about your education at the top of your resume. If you have secured a good GPA, specifically mention it. You may also include your academic achievements, such as awards, prizes, honours, and certificates.
- Give details about Volunteer or extracurricular experience: It is understandable that as a high student, you may have little or no work experience. However, you may focus on other areas of work, such as volunteer experience. Similarly, adding extracurricular activities is the right approach for high school students while making their resumes. You can include details about sports, clubs, and some other organizations.
- Highlight your leadership abilities and experience: Employers prefer candidates with leadership skills and experience. If you were a captain of your basketball, soccer or any other sports team, highlight it. Likewise, if you were a president or vice president of your student council, make sure you include details regarding this. Inclusion of these elements would reflect your capabilities and skills needed to qualify for a job.
- List Your skills: Add a section with the title “Skills” in your resume. Write the skills that you possess. For example, you may write your computer proficiencies such as you are an expert user of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access or Google analytics. You may write down the languages that you know. Additionally, you can write that you always like challenging tasks. You can work in teams as well as individually. Employers consider these skills while deciding on hiring a candidate.
Essential Tips for Creating a High School Resume
- Relate your resume to the job: Analyze the job requirements by reviewing the job ad before writing your resume. Note down the qualification and the significant requirements of the job. Keeping those requirements in view, create your resume in a way that you are an ideal candidate for this position. Companies seek skills relevant to job requirements. Therefore, it is essential that you carefully review the hiring criteria and convey in your CV that you possess the relevant skills.
- Proofreading and Editing: Comprehensively review your resume before presenting it to your potential employer. Proofread it multiple times, and critically analyze your resume. Make sure you have used correct grammar and punctuation. Check whether the sentences are coherent, and the sections include the relevant details. You need to use the consistent format for your resume. You should seek the help of your friend, relative, career coach, counsellor so that they could guide you in case of any shortcomings in your resume. Be 100% sure that everything is in order regarding your resume.
- Use templates and samples: Going through resume templates and samples is a right approach to get ideas about what to include in your resume. Templates can assist you in organizing the information in your CV. Make sure you modify the resume template by keeping in view your work history, educational information, and other relevant details. Different CV templates and samples are available online to facilitate students and professionals to organize their resumes.
High School Resume Template
Following is a high school resume sample. The sample includes different sections of a resume to provide an example of the things that you need to include in each section. Using this sample will enable you to organize all your information; complete all the sections by adding the relevant information about yourself.
443 Park Street. Jacksonville, FL 44444. (123) 678-8930. New.email@example.com.
Retail Sales Officer
Bringing passion, energy, dedication, and problem-solving skills to any job.
High-performing student sportsman, looking for an entry-level job in retail sales.
- Fast runner believing in strong work discipline and ethics
- Leadership abilities
- Problem solver
- Quick Learner
- Good team player
- Cooperative, hardworking and optimist
Education and Credentials
CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL, Jacksonville, Florida.
Diploma expected 2020
Awards and Achievements
- First position in Interschool Literary Essay Competition.
- Honor Roll, for the first two years of high school.
- Became group leader for a team assignment.
Skills and Certifications
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- Knowledge about Google Analytics
- PADI (scuba diving)
- Two-year member of the cross-country team, vice-captain of the basketball team.
- Two-year member of track and field team and third-year projected.
- Member of the school magazine staff, fun section editor as a senior.
- Three-year membership of the institute’s Gay-Straight Association (GSA).
Read More: How to Design Your Resume?
SMITH FAMILY, Jacksonville, Florida.
BABYSITTER (November 2017-Present)- For more than two years, I have been caring for two children aged 3 and 10 years when their parents are at away.
You do not need to add references in your resume, instead make a separate list of references, and provide when employers request for that. Generally, at the time of the interview, the interviewers may ask you to provide recommendations.
Customize your Resume
In every case, make sure you customize and personalize your resume. It is important because your resume reflects your skills and abilities.
As a high school student, you may not have enough work experience. Yet, you can create a compelling resume by including the details about your qualifications, extracurricular activities, and any awards and achievements. Ideally, considering the job posting, you need to prove through your CV that you possess the required skills.