There are a lot of reasons why someone would like to work in Canada. Not only is the place itself utterly beautiful, but there are also plenty of work opportunities for those who are eligible.
If you are interested in working in Canada, then you will need to acquire a work permit first. Here is everything you need to know about the eligibility criteria, requirements, and how you can get a work visa for Canada.
Read More: How to Apply for Canada Tourist Visa?
A work visa is issued to those individuals who are eligible to work overseas in a country for a specific period. These individuals can apply for a work visa only after they get an employment contract or a job offer from some Canadian employer in their business.
Temporary workers, business people, permanent workers, skilled labour, and even students can work in Canada. With a rising number of great opportunities, Canada is an excellent place for people to look at work in. Canada is one of the world’s leading economies, making it an extremely lucrative endeavour for people who choose to work there.
Table of Contents
What Is Permitted under the Canada Work Visa?
Once you acquire your Canada work visa, you will be allowed to do a few things which include:
- Earning in Canadian dollars
- Travelling across Canada
- Applying for a PR visa
- You can call your dependants to Canada by applying for a dependant visa
- Work in Canada with the employer who has offered you a job in Canada
What Documents Do You Need to Apply for a Canada Work Visa?
- Two passport-sized photographs (recent)
- Certificates of educational qualifications
- Application fee
- Medication examinations are done via registered hospitals
- Proof of work experience and all professional qualifications
- Bank statements and income tax returns as income proof for previous years as proof that the individual will be able to cover their expenses in Canada
- A valid passport (the passport should have a validity of more than six months from the planned date of arrival in Canada
Read More: Why Study If You Can Get Work Visa in Canada
What Are the General Eligibility Requirements for Obtaining a Canada Work Visa?
There have been a few changes that have been made recently for individuals who wish to apply for a Canada work visa. In most cases, the individual needs to have a job offer or an employment contract given by a Canadian employer.
A Labor Market Opinion (LMO) or a Labor Market Verification or Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is also required. This is obtained by the employer who wishes to hire a foreign worker.
Of course, there are certain types of work in Canada that do not require an LMO to be obtained by the employer. Typically, these include the transfer of senior employees, reciprocal treaties, or can even apply to those individuals who have already been preliminarily selected for a Canadian permanent residence, but may not have yet obtained their visa.
Read More: How to Get a Student Visa for Canada?
- The individual must be able to prove to the officer that they will be leaving Canada once their work permit expires
- The individual has to prove that they are not of any danger to Canada’s security
- The individual must be able to show that they have adequate financial resources or source of funds which will enable them and their family to sustain in Canada and to return home
- They must obey the law and not have any record of previous criminal activity (the individual may be asked to give a police clearance certificate)
- They must have taken proper medical examinations and should be in good health
- The individual must prove that they are not planning on working for an employer who offers, regularly, erotic dance, striptease, escort services or is part of any sex trade
- The individual must prove that they do not plan to work for an employer whose status is listed as ‘ineligible’ on the list of those employers who fail to comply with the conditions
What Is the Procedure to Apply for a Canada Work Permit?
Obtaining a Canada work permit can take up to several weeks and is a multi-step process. Depending upon the individual’s nationality, current occupation, and the intended work in Canada, the individual, can expedite the process of obtaining a work visa.
The Canadian employer should be able to provide the approval to their foreign workers from either Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) or even an Offer of Employment number, which is issued by Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
However, depending upon the individual’s country of citizenship, the foreign worker may also need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to travel to Canada.
It may take several weeks for this procedure and the individual to finally obtain their Canada Work Visa.
Individuals who wish to work and live in Canada must first obtain a work permit, after which they can apply for a Canada work visa. Based on the individual’s requirements and preferences, they can fill up this application either on paper or online, although there are several more benefits of doing this process online.
Along with the required documents, the individual can then post their application. However, keep in mind that only those employers who are approved can hire foreign workers to come to Canada to work with them.
If you are interested in working in Canada and moving there- either alone, or with your spouse or even your family, you should consult with a professional who can guide you with the correct procedures.
A spouse can obtain an open work permit and work in any job with any employer in Canada. Of course, you must have adequate documentation and proof to show that you will be able to fund your stay along with your family in Canada without any issues.
Canada has become one of the best places in the world to work in, and those who are interested can explore the various opportunities in this beautiful country. Ensure that you obtain your work permit first, and then apply for your Canada work visa.