Every year, millions of people from America visit India. While some visit for business, others might visit to enjoy the beauty and culture of this exotic country. Of course, to visit India, you will need an Indian visa.
Here is everything you need to know about applying for an Indian visa from America.
Table of Contents
What Are the Different Types of Indian Visas You Can Apply For?
There are three main types of visa that you can apply for when visiting India. These are a Business Visa, Medical Visa, or a Tourist Visa.
There is also a transit visa, but this applies only to those who are staying in India for less than 72 hours.
How Long Is the Indian Tourist Visa Applicable?
Once you get your tourist visa, it will be valid for one year, granting you multiple entries into India. It is valid for a total of 180 days.
However, if you are applying for a Business Visa, the validity is different. In most cases, the validity of the visa depends upon the Consulate, and not the person who is applying for the visa.
Typically, the Consulate will issue a visa with the same or a near about expiry date of your current passport. So, in case your passport expires in 4 years, you might not be able to apply for a five or 10-year Indian business visa.
Where Can You Apply for an Indian Visa from America?
With the advancement of technology and the internet, it is effortless to apply for your Indian visa online. You can sit at home and log on to the online visa website, where you can fill in the online visa application form quickly.
However, in case you do not wish to do it online, you can also go to a visa processing centre in your city and appear at the Indian Consulate to get the process done. In the United States of America, this is usually done by Cox and Kings Global Services.
How Long Does It Take for Your Indian Visa Application to Be Processed?
For a tourist visa, you can generally expect it within 5 to 10 business days.
What are the documents that you will need to apply for an Indian visa in America?
- Your original passport (valid for at least six months), a photocopy of your passport information and the signature page.
- The online visa application form printed out
- A recent passport size photo in colour with a plain or black and white background (in case of an online application, you can upload a passport size picture of yourself).
- Additional particulars form
- In case of a business visit, you will also require a Certificate of Incorporation.
- The Certificate comes from the inviting company in India, and it must be from the same state where the Invitation letter is coming from.
- Letter of Invitation.
- The letter should explain the relationship between the inviter and the applicant. It should also state the purpose of travel and should be signed and sealed on the company letterhead.
- Business Cover Letter.
- The letter comes from the sponsoring company or the employer you have in the United States. Make sure that the Business Cover Letter is signed by the appropriate person such as the Executive, the HR, or your direct supervisor.
- Business Cover Letter should contain information about your employment status or the position you hold in the company. It should clearly state your purpose of visit to India. Along with that, it should also contain detailed information about the organizations you will be visiting in India. Whoever is financially responsible for this trip is also required to be detailed here.
- Proof of State Residency.
- Of the most common documents, you can attach here is a photocopy of your driver’s license, which should contain your proof of residency. You may also attach your most recent major utility bill, such as water bills, electricity, bills, gas, sewage, etc.
- Country of Origin.
- The case you are original of Indian citizenship, you will have to renounce this. You will need documents such as a Certificate of Renunciation, which is issued by the Consulate of India. You will also need an Indian passport which contains a stamp of renunciation.
Steps to Apply for Indian Visa:
- Visit the online visa application website (such as Cox and Kings Global Services). Click on the type of visa you will need, according to your reason for the visit.
- Fill out the application form very carefully and have all the appropriate documents ready. If you are doing this online, you will need soft copies of the papers and passport-sized pictures. In case you are doing it from the visa office, you should have these documents with you in person.
- Now, you need to click on ‘select missions office.’ This will apply directly to which state you are applying from to which embassy
- Now, select the type of visa you are applying for, the cities in India you are planning to visit, and the duration of the visa. Select the number of entries, as well as the purpose of your visit.
- Upload your photo to the specified page. Make sure that you have signed on both the pages (under your picture on the first page and at the bottom of the second page.
- Gather all of your documents mentioned above
- Process your payment fee
- Print out a copy of the payment receipt and all of the visa documents. This is very important for you to have.
- Gather all of these documents which you need to parcel
These are the steps you need to follow to apply for an Indian visa from America. Depending upon the kind of visa you are applying for, the documents which you need to collect will differ. It is important to apply well before time and have all of the appropriate documents ready for the process to be smooth and hassle-free.