Most foreign nationals require a US visa to enter the country. As a result, Indian citizens will also need a US visa.
Table of Contents
What is a US visa?
Travelers from countries that are not eligible for visa-free entry into the United States under the VWP (Visa Waiver Program) must get permission to enter the country. The visa issue in the form of a passport stamp.
The legitimacy of the permit, on the other hand, is determined by the officer who issues it. That might range from 6 months to a maximum of 10 years, based on your profile.
There are two kinds of visas: immigration visas and non-immigrant visas. Because the latter requires permanent resident permits, whereas most US Visa applications from India include temporary stay.
US Visa Types
There are various Non-Immigrant visas available for entry into the United States, depending on the purpose and eligibility of the visit.
The following are the most prevalent forms of US visas obtained from India:
US Tourist Visa: –
This kind provides when an individual is visiting the nation for objectives such as vacation, visiting friends or family, etc
US Business Visa: –
The business visa provides visitors entering the nation for business meetings, conferences, and other business-related activities.
Although the documents and eligibility requirements for B1 and B2 visas differ, the visa issue is a B1/B2 visa.
US Student Visa:
This visa exclusively provides to students visiting the nation for education.
US Work Visa:
H1-B, L1, J1, I ,P
Individuals who enter the nation to conduct various types of labor assign to one of these groups.
Any of these visas can apply for depending on the nature of the job and the specific circumstance.
US Dependent Visa:
H4, F2, L2, etc. –
The Dependent permit is for dependents such as a spouse or children of those with other US Visas.
This type is for those who enroll in non-employment training programs in the United States.
Media and Journalists Visa: I –
This visa is for information media employees who are traveling for work purposes.
Its grant to athletes, artists, or entertainers who are traveling for employment or a project.
Extraordinary Ability Visa:
Awarded to those with exceptional ability in the fields of science, athletics, arts, business, and so forth
J1 exchange visitor –
It is for those visiting the United States as part of an exchange program.
This category includes personnel transferred to a branch/subsidiary/parent company in the United States as part of the transfer.
US Transit Visa:
This visa provides to those who are transiting through the United States.
It is for members of an aircraft or ship’s crew.
Similar to B1/B2, though C1 and D require separate US visa applications, the permit issue in the Form of a C1/D Visa.
Required Documents for US Visa for Indians
According to the US visa laws for Indians, the documents required for visa application submission differ depending on the type.
Each type has its own set of documents.
However, the following are the requisite documents required per the US Visa document requirements for Indian citizens:
- A passport that is valid for at least six months from the date of the anticipated visit
- Two photos
- DS-160 application confirmation page
- Visa fees payment receipt
- Proof of purpose of visit
- Proof of employment/study
- Proof of financial funds
Photo Requirements for US Visa
The following picture parameters are required by the US Visa requirements for Indian residents.
- 50mm X 50mm Dimensions
- Color: Colored
- A recent photo
- Background- plain white
- At least 70% face coverage
- Neutral facial expression
- Wide-open eyes, staring toward the camera
- Glasses: only permitted for medical reasons
- Uniforms are not allowed
- Headgear: only authorized for religious reasons
- Facial hair: allowed
How to apply for US Visa from India?
To get a Visa to the United States, an applicant must first complete the following steps:
- Check your eligibility by selecting the type of visa you are seeking for.
- Fill out the online application form with all of the essential information.
- Attend the Visa interview at a specific embassy with all relevant papers.
Applying for US Visa
A Visa can obtain in two ways:
When you apply online, you may electronically submit all of your papers and the completed application form.
However, suppose you apply manually or via offline mode. In that case, you must collect/download the Visa application form, fill it out, and mail it to any of the US Embassy offices in India.
Procedure for applying for an immigrant Visa:
- When applying for an immigrant visa in the United States, a visa applicant must follow the following steps.
- A police clearance certificate issued by the Regional Passport Office is required. It is only valid for one year.
- You must be in good health and finish the medical examination test performed by recognized medical professionals.
- After that, fill out the DS-260 form with your Invoice ID number and Beneficiary ID number.
- Pay your Visa fees.
- Once you have completed the DS-260 form, you may schedule your Visa interview.
Procedure for Applying For Non-Immigrant Visa
The following is the procedure for applying for a non-immigrant visa in the United States:
- First, choose your Visa type. You must select a Visa category based on the purpose of your trip.
- Then, carefully fill out the Visa application form DS-160.
- Check that all of your information is correct. Because once you submit the form, you will be unable to make any changes.
- Pay the fees associated with your Visa type.
- You can pay via NEFT, Mobile Payment, or Cash.
- You may now set up your Visa interview with the US Embassy.
- You must arrange two interviews: one for the Visa Application Centre and one for the US Embassy.
Required Documents for US Visa Interview
You must bring the following documents to your visa interview if you are seeking an immigrant visa:
To apply for an Immigrant Visa:
- At the Visa Application Centre, the DS-260 confirmation paper stamp.
- Previous and present passports, as well as a Police Clearance Certificate from the Regional Passport Office
- Supporting Documents Depending on Your Visa Type
- To apply for a non-immigrant visa:
- a duplicate of your appointment confirmation letter
- At the Visa Application Centre, the DS-160 confirmation sheet stamp.
- Current and any previous passports are necessary, as are any supporting documentation for your visa type.
How to Make an Appointment for a US Visa
You may make an appointment for your US Visa online. You must log in to your profile using the same credentials to pay your Visa cost.
Then you’ll see the dashboard, where you may arrange your appointment by clicking the “Schedule Appointment” button.
You must make two appointments: one at the Visa Application Centre and one at the embassy.
The National Visa Centre or the Kentucky Consular Center typically schedules the bulk of Visa application interviews to the United States from India.
Schedule a Category 1 appointment with the Visa Application Center before your Visa interview to have your fingerprints and pictures taken.
You must arrive at the interview location 15 minutes before the scheduled time.
If necessary, you can cancel or reschedule your appointment.
How to Pay the Visa Fees for the United States
Visa fees may pay online using NEFT, Mobile Payment, or Cash. It cannot refund.
Individuals with diplomatic passports are free from paying Visa costs regardless of the reason for their trip or the kind of visa.
Furthermore, official passport holders do not have to pay for official Visas.
They must, however, attend a visa interview at the US Embassy between the hours of 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. on any working day.
Information required for the scheduling of a US Visa Interview
When organizing a Visa interview session with the US Embassy, a Visa applicant should maintain the following statement on hand:
- Receipt for a visa application fee
- The number on a passport.
- The DS-160 confirmation page’s barcode number. It is a ten-digit number.
US Visa processing time
The time it takes to process your visa is usually between 7 and 10 working days after you submit it. It may vary based on the embassy’s workload, the kind of visa, the urgency, and so on.
Aside from that, because the American visa is in great demand, visa interview dates are difficult to arrange and have long wait times.
As a result, it strongly advises applying well in advance.
Where to apply?
Applications for US visas in India must be submitted online.
However, to schedule an appointment, you must first visit a VAC and then an Embassy or Consulate.
You can submit your biometrics at any of the VACs located around the country.
After that, you may arrange an appointment and visit the US Embassy in New Delhi or any US Consulate-General in Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, or Mumbai for your visa interview.
How to check US Visa status online?
To follow the status of your application, go to the web portal and enter your interview location and DS-160 barcode number.
You can also email your passport number to ‘email@example.com.’
Usually, you will be alerted when your passport is available for pickup.
You may then pick them up or have them delivered to your location, depending on your chosen manner.
US Visa Refusal
When an applicant applies for an immigrant visa to the United States, the Consular officer expects that the applicant wants to leave his or her native country and relocate to the United States.
The immigration officer must convince that the applicant has a home outside of the United States that he does not wish to abandon. He is visiting the United States for a temporary period, and that he or she can pay for the trip and meet the requirements of the Visa type the applicant is applying for.
Even if you have all of the necessary documentation, your Visa application may deny.
The consular official determines whether or not you are qualified for the visa.
He makes his decision after studying your paperwork and the applicant’s social, economic, and family links to his or her home country.
One of the grounds for refusal might be that you did not establish during the interview that you satisfy the criteria for the Visa category.
Depending on the category, you may be able to extend your US visa.
To do so, you must apply to the USCIS (the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) before your existing visa expires.
However, the success of your application will determine by several variables, including your intent, immigration status, and so on. You will also be required to provide all of the documentation that you supplied for the initial visa.
If you are unable to renew, you must leave the country before your visa expires.