Enhance your academic and career prospects by participating in the Fully-funded PhD Scholarship in Microbiology offered by the University of Koblenz and Landau, Germany.
The study award is open for PhD students who want to conduct research focusing on single-factor studies in the temporary stream and river ecosystems.
|Scholarship Sponsor||University of Koblenz and Landau|
|Scholarships level||PhD Position|
|Award Amount||Fully Funded|
|Fellowship Period||Three years|
|Study area||Limnology, Microbiology|
|Opening date||Now Open|
|Closing date||March 08, 2021|
The project FlowReSeT aims to clarify the mechanisms that modulate streambed biogeochemistry (Carbon metabolism and Nitrogen uptake of the microbial community) at various flow resumption chronologies with and without sediment transport.
The resumption of flow after drying is considered as a biogeochemical hot moment, with high rates of C-metabolism and N-uptake influenced by the frequency of the previous drying. The mechanisms modulating this hot moment are not well understood.
Research so far focused on single-factor studies in the temporary stream and river ecosystems. However, intermittency and resumption of flow occur increasingly in perennial stream ecosystems, and surface flow often implies sediment transport (e.g., migrating ripples, upper-stage plane bed), especially in sandy streams.
Also, flow resumption can follow different chronologies, such as instantly by rain events or slow by rising groundwater. The concentrations of C and N leached upon flow resumption can also influence the biogeochemical response. To be started on June 01 2021.
The deadline for applications is March 08, 2021
- Master degree in biology, environmental sciences, engineering or other relevant fields
- Knowledge/experience in at least one of the following areas: limnology, microbiology – freshwater ecology, biogeochemistry
- Driving license
- The capability of conducting independent research, excellent skills in the English language and- scientific writing
- Three-year contract (Entgeltgruppe 13 TV-L 75 % part-time position) in a fully funded- collaborative research project
- Excellent interdisciplinary support, national and international collaborations and access to- state-of-the-art research facilities and instrumentation
- The place of work will be the Institute for Environmental Sciences Landau and UFZ in- Magdeburg, a friendly and international working environment within a region of high living quality
Women with equivalent suitability, competence and professional performance will prefer employment as far as and for as long as an underrepresentation exists. This is not the case if there are such severe reasons for an applicant that is above the principle of equality of women. Applicants with disabilities who have the same qualifications will have a preference (please attach proof). International candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Applications should include a letter of motivation, a complete curriculum vitae including copies of certificates and a letter of recommendation for a referee’s announced position. Please send your application before March 08, 2021, via email in a single pdf document to [email protected] Please make sure to mention your name and reference number 14/2021 in the email subject line.