Microsoft is glad to announce you a free online course named as “Web Design Best Practices: An Inclusive Approach”. In this course, you will teach you the guidelines and best practices required to create a new web application from scratch. You’ll also learn how to repair inaccessible sites as they exist right now. You’ll discuss the legal landscape behind accessibility, as well as the importance of making your web pages readable by all users. You’ll learn how to test throughout the building phase so that you can be sure you are on the right track as you create new sites and applications. This course will start on March 1, 2018.
- Duration: 5 weeks
- Commitment: 3-4 hours per week
- Subject: Computer Science
- Institution: Microsoft Corporation
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Starts on March 1, 2018
- Requirement: None
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
- About University: Microsoft Corporation is an American multinational technology company headquartered in Redmond, Washington, that develops, manufactures, licenses, supports and sells computer software, consumer electronics, and personal computers and services.
- The mission of University: Microsoft Corporation’s mission is “to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more”.
- A basic understanding of web development
- A basic understanding of C# and object-oriented programming
Where Could This Lead You
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: Throughout the course students are introduced to planning and designing effective web pages; implementing web pages by writing HTML and CSS code; enhancing web pages with the use of page layout techniques, text formatting, graphics, images, and multimedia; and producing a functional, multi-page website.
- Your Career Option: There are lots of interesting career options you can consider after completing the course:
- Web Developer
- Web Designer
- User Interface Developer
- WEB DESIGNER / HTML Designer/ Coder
Get Extra Benefits
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($99USD)
- Official and Verified: Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
- Easily Shareable: Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven Motivator: Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link of join this free online course: https://courses.edx.org/register
- Module 1 Lesson 1: Overview of Web Accessibility
What is accessibility? Why is it important? Disability types. What is usability?
- Module 1 Lesson 2: Knowing the Tools in Your Toolbox
Accessible technologies, and tools to evaluate accessibility
- Module 2: Starting a New Site
The DOM order; designing from scratch; page structure; ARIA attributes, types of required attributes; text for screen readers; control elements; images; using href, image links, edit, email and search boxes and more
- Module 3: Understanding Complex Controls
Considerations in choosing UI frameworks; filters and sorting; accordion; tab controls; carousel; tables, forms, overlays
- Module 4: You Found a Bug, Now What?
Optimizing usability while fixing accessibility issues; fixing order issues; fixing a for
- Module 5: Final Assessment
Final assessment questions
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Best practices and guidelines to make your Website more inclusive
- Accessibility tools
- Page structure
- Aria attributes
- Required attributes
- How CSS affects accessibility
- Communicating text for screen readers
- Control elements
- Complex controls
- Edit, email, and search boxes
- Charts and graphs
- Filets and legends
- Choosing UI frameworks
- Filters and sorting
- Tab controls
- Optimizing usability while fixing accessibility issues
- Error messages
- Fixing order issues
- Fixing a form
Who Will You Learn With
- Randal Root: Randal is a senior executive consultant specializing in .NET Programming and SQL Server BI solutions. Randal has worked in the industry as a solution designer, network administrator, DBA, and programmer since the 1980s. His passion is to impart knowledge.
- Cari Mason: Cari is a content developer at Microsoft. Her current role involves developing, producing and delivering Data Analytics courseware. Her experience includes developing content for IT Professionals and developers with a major focus on Business Intelligence Solutions.
- Jason Ament: Jason Ament is a Software Design Engineer in the Microsoft Learning Experiences group. He previously worked in the Office group for 5 years as a Content Developer for the Support, Clipart/Images, and Templates website.
- Jhansi Reddy: Jhansi Reddy is a Senior Program Manager in Microsoft’s Learning Experiences team. She has more than 10 years of Software Development experience at Microsoft, Apple and several Seattle area startups. She is very passionate about Teaching and Learning and taught several Programming classes at Seattle and Bellevue Colleges.
- Katie Hart: Katie Hart is a Microsoft as a Customer Service Support Lab engineer specializing in writing unit tests for detecting changes in VMAS software. She has worked at Microsoft for the past year and a half. Katie attended the University of Washington where she earned her bachelor degree in business.
- Kirk Tarrach: Kirk is a Software Design Engineer at Microsoft with over 19 years of experience. He focuses on Learning, Accessibility and (UX) User Experience.
You can refer these books:
- Learning Web Design by Jennifer Niederst Robbins
- The Principles of Beautiful Web Design by Jason Beaird
- Importance of Course: After completing the course you will understand best practices and guidelines needed to create Web pages that are more inclusive and empower your users to get the most out of your Web page.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
- For more information about the course, you may visit the given link: