Empower your academic and career goals by removing the financial barrier. Here, you have an excellent opportunity to apply for the Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships for International Students in the UK. The studentships are open for the academic year 2020-2021.
Funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the program is open to contributing to development needs of Commonwealth countries by providing training for skilled and qualified professionals in key development areas.
UK Department for International Development (DFID)
Department for International Development is a United Kingdom government department responsible for administering overseas aid. It promotes sustainable development and eliminates world poverty. It is headed by the United Kingdom’s Secretary of State for International Development.
The Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships are offered under six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
To be eligible for this educational program, candidates are required to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidates from Bangladesh, Cameroon, Eswatini, The Gambia, Ghana, Guyana, India, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia are eligible to apply.
- Applicants are needed to hold an offer to study the postgraduate degree coursework at the university.
- Applicant must be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country or be a British Protected Person
- Candidate must be permanently resident in a developing Commonwealth country.
- Applicant must hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) standard. A lower qualification and sufficient relevant experience may be considered in some instances.
- Aspirants need to be unable to afford to study the programme without this scholarship.
Benefits of the Programs
The studentships will be awarded as follow:
- The scholarships provide full tuition fees and all other compulsory costs of studying a UK Master’s course by distance learning.
- This includes the full cost of any residential components of a course.
Purpose: This studentship is a lucky chance for those students who are high-quality postgraduate and who wish to access training not available in their home countries, and who have the potential to enhance the development of their home countries with the knowledge and leadership skills they acquire.
How to Apply for the Scholarship
For applying to theses studentships, candidates are needed to follow this application procedure:
Step 1: Apply for Admission
For taking advantage of this scholarship, candidates are required to take admission at a UK university that is participating in the Distance Learning scheme. You must also secure access to your course in addition to applying for a Distance Learning Scholarship. After enrolling, candidates can submit the online scholarship application form.
Step 2: Submit required documents
To be considered for your application, you need to attach the supporting documents:
- At least one reference– submitted directly by the referee to the online application system (referees will be sent an email request).
- An offer letter to start their chosen course of study in the 2020-2021 academic year – uploaded to the online application system.
- Full transcripts detailing all your higher education qualifications (with certified translations if not in English) – uploaded to the online application system.
- Supporting documentation uploaded to the online application system must be uploaded as files that are no more than 5 MB in size and must be in one of the following formats: PDF, .doc, .docx, .odt, .jpg, .jpeg.
Note: The CSC will not accept supporting documentation submitted outside the online application system.
- For studying a postgraduate degree program, you are required to hold the undergraduate degree certificate.
- You must check with your chosen university for their specific advice on when to apply, admission requirements, and rules for using.
As an international student, you will need a student visa for studying in the UK. You can apply for the Tier 4 visa outside of the UK. For this, you will need to make your application from the Country in which you usually live.
Scholarship application deadline: All applications must be submitted by 16.00 (GMT) on 13 April 2020 at the latest.
Contact phone number: +44 (0)207 380 6700
Contact application form: For any queries about applying for a Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship, you can visit the CSC’s Contact us page.
Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK
20-24 Tavistock Square
London WC1H 9HF
Frequently Asked Question
Question- What level of study are the scholarships available for?
Answer- Scholarships are available for the postgraduate course.