Women have been enjoying the advantages of birth control pills since it was first approved by U.S food and drug administration. Birth control pills are one of the most important and researched of all the medications. Most of the women can safely use birth control pills, but pill usage also carries some risks with it.
Read More: Fossil Fuels Pros and Cons – Essay Tips
In this article, we will have a quick run-down of the pros and cons of birth control pills.
Table of Contents
Pros of the Birth Control Pills:
The most cited pros of birth control pills are as follows:
- Birth control pills also offer some protection against pelvic inflammatory disease.
- It is a very safe method of controlling birth.
- It helps to regulate the periods.
- It is a very easy and convenient method of contraception.
- It can decrease menstrual cramps.
- The combination pills can be taken to skip the period duration.
- Birth control pills allow sexual spontaneity.
Benefits of Combination Birth Control Pills:
Combination contraception also provides you with amazing health advantages. While on the other hand, birth control pills allow you some protection against it.
- Acne problems
- Painful intercourse and vaginal dryness
- Body hairs in excess
- Chronic symptoms of the premenstrual dysphoric disorder
- Deficiency of iron-anaemia
- menstrual migraines and ovarian cysts
How Birth Control Pills Protect Against Cancer?
Recent studies show that birth control pills lower the risk of ovarian cancer by about 27 per cent. Moreover, it also reduces the risk of endometrial cancer by 50 per cent as compared to those who have never taken oral contraceptives.
It also protects against developing those cancers which last up to 30 years after stopping the intake of birth control pills. However, this protection also increases by every passing year. If you keep on using a combination of birth control pills for about six years, it decreases the risk of ovarian or endometrial cancer by about 60 per cent.
Read More: Bamboo Flooring Pros and Cons – Essay Tips
Researches also reveal that taking birth control pills also increases the chance of developing breast cancer. It has also been observed from studies that regular use of birth control pills reduce the risk of developing colorectal cancer by about 15 per cent-20 per cent among women.
Pills Improve the Span of Periods:
A lot of people use birth control pills because it makes their periods regular and easy to predict. The hormones in birth control pills also help to reduce the menstrual cramps and make your periods lighter.
- You can also use birth control pills to skip your period and is convenient for the people safely.
- If you don’t want to make your special occasion problematic for you, you can take birth control pills.
You can now easily keep track of any potential cons with pills.
An Effective Way to Prevent Pregnancy:
If you follow the instructions carefully and use pills correctly, it gives you protection against the pregnancy.
- All you need is to take a pill every day and start your new packs on time.
- But if you forget taking your pills, that does not work anyways.
- To keep you on track, you can also use birth control app.
- To get extra protection from pregnancy, you can also use condoms, along with birth control pills.
Use of Birth Control Pills Inconvenient:
Taking birth control pills is easy but remember to take it daily is problematic. Fortunately, pills are smaller, like the size of a compact mirror.
- You can easily carry pills wherever you go.
- If you properly take pills daily, it also protects you from before time pregnancy.
- You need a prescription from a doctor or nurse; otherwise, you can’t take it.
- By increasing advancement in the field of technology, you can buy these pills online in the comfort of your home.
These are some pros that the birth control pill carries with it.
Cons of Birth Control Pills:
Now it’s time to discuss some drawbacks or cons of using birth control pills.
Birth control pills may cause serious hormones problems in some people. After taking these pills, some people may have:
- Nausea and sore breasts
- changes in your periods and spotting
Birth control does not make you sick or uncomfortable rather, and it gives your body a chance to adjust to the hormones.
Side Effects of Taking Birth Control Pills:
Side effects are not always a bad thing, but some people pursue taking birth control pills because they prove helpful. These pills may ease cramps, and it usually makes periods lighter and more regular. You can even use the pill to skip your period cycle safely.
Some types of birth control pills can also prevent acne, iron deficiency, cysts in your breasts, and certain cancers. The changes in the periods sometimes make people worry about being pregnant. For example, in some cases, the hormones in pills help you deal with heavy, painful, and irregular periods.
Side Effects of Stopping Birth Control Pills:
When you stop taking birth control pills, there will be hormonal imbalance and a change of temporary side effects. But these side effects usually disappear after a few months.
- When you go off the pill, your body will start returning to its actual position like it used to be before.
- As pills help to clear your skin but once you go off the pills, your acne may appear.
- Using birth control pills shapes our body and help us maintain good health.
But if you are not satisfied taking these pills, you can go for another birth control method.
When deciding whether or not to use birth control pills, you should discuss the pros and cons as they relate especially to you. Make sure you also discuss possible interactions with other medications you are recently taking. If you feel the pros are more than cons, then you are a good candidate for birth control pills.
Most of the women stopping taking them because of the side effects associated with it. Always use a trusted brand for birth control pills, and you can also go for a trial of different brands.
Read More: Pros and Cons of Marriage – Essay Tips
To prevent yourself from vomiting, you can either take it with an evening meal or while going for rest. So, consult your doctor before you start taking birth control pills.
This is a detailed guide which helps you to understand the use and risks of taking pills.