If you are planning to go out of your country to study, then one of the most common and popular hubs for education in Canada. It offers a wide range of courses and has some of the best universities in the world. But to study there, you have to get a study permit.
Table of Contents
What is a Study Permit?
A study permit is an official document issued by the Canadian government to the student who has come from outside and is studying at one of the Canadian learning institutions. Without a study permit, it won’t be possible for you to get a visa for the country as a student who is looking for studying in one of the Canadian universities.
To get a study permit, several documents are required to be at disposal in case they are needed. It is best if you apply for the study permit before you travel to Canada. With the study permit, you also need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa, then only you can enter the boundaries of Canada.
How Long Can You Stay in Canada With a Study Permit?
The answer is not very long. With the help of a study permit, you can only stay for as long as 90 days. You have to apply for an extended stay in case your course of education will take more time. There are some conditions which you should know regarding the study permit. Those conditions are:
1. If You Have Signed Up For Prerequisite Courses
In case the school or institution that has accepted you has termed you into one of their initial courses which they conduct to evaluate the calibre of the student for their main programs. Your permit will be valid throughout the term of the course also with one year. You can also apply for an extended stay in case you are accepted into the main program.
2. In Case Your Course Is Longer Than Your Permit
In situations where your study permit is no longer valid, but your courses are still left, then you are eligible to apply for an extended stay. If you don’t do that, you will have to stop studying and leave Canada almost immediately.
3. If You Finish Your Studies Before Your Study Permit Expires
In case your course has finished long before the date study permit has noted in it. That doesn’t mean that you can bide your time in Canada doing nothing. The day you are issued an official decree from the institution you are studying in, you have to notify the study permit authorities.
In case you fail to do that, the school will have to verify on your behalf, and the Canadian government will be notified anyways. Your study permit is only valid for the next 90 days after the completion of your studies.
What is the Eligibility Criteria?
In case you are wondering who all can apply, of course, there is an eligibility criterion. You can only study in Canada if you:
- Have managed to enrol yourself at a designated learning institution.
- Have shown the proof of being able to manage your expenses which include tuition fee, living expense and transportation.
- Have no criminal records and are a law-abiding citizen.
- Have not been diagnosed with a severe contagious disease that is life-threatening and is in great shape.
- Have proved to an official from the Canadian government that you will leave the country once your study permit is over.
Who are People Who Don’t Need a Study Visa?
In some cases, people are exempted from requiring a mandatory study permit. You can also study in Canada without needing a study permit if:
- The course you have signed up for is shorter than six months.
- Your studies aren’t part of your more significant program.
- You promise to be done with your studies within the time frame that Canadian officials give to you ( which is usually six months from when you enter).
- If you are the immediate family of the student studying in Canada and are just visiting him/her.
- If you are a registered Indian in Canada, even if you are a citizen of another country, you don’t need a study permit in Canada.
Documents Required for Study Permit:
Ensure, that before you apply for a student permit, you have all the below-mentioned documents ready at disposal:
- An acceptance letter which is from the designated learning institution that you have applied in.
- You have a valid passport at the time of your travel.
- A proof is stating that you can provide for your family who comes to Canada with you.
How Do You Apply For Study Permit?
You can apply for a study permit merely sitting at your home. The option of using online is valid for everyone. Why should you apply online, though? For these simple reasons:
- There is absolutely no scope of courier fees, and the application also gets delivered instantly.
- Your request is processed much faster.
- It helps you in making sure that you have completed all the necessary information before you submit it.
- You can also provide much faster if the authorities ask you to.
- You get real-time updates of your application status directly in your online account.
After You Have Submitted Your Application
1. When you have submitted your application, and it is processed, then you have to provide your biometrics. There is a fee involved in the process. You will receive a letter which will tell you exactly when and where you have to reach to provide your biometrics. You will have a timeframe of 30 days from the date the letter reaches you.
2.The Canadian authorities will go through your submitted application. In case any of the necessary fields are left incomplete, the application will be returned to you without processing it.
When your application is processed, you will be provided with a letter of introduction.