When young students go abroad to study, they get an opportunity to explore a lot of things. This includes various cultures, cuisines, music, places to visit, and of course- people. It is not uncommon to find yourself attracted to a peer, a friend, or just someone you randomly met.
However, when it comes to approaching this individual, people often seem to come to a standstill.
You might be shy, nervous, or cannot think of what you would want to say to the person you wish to approach. This is where pick up lines come into play. Pick up lines have been used for generations as an ice breaker, a conversation starter, or as the name suggests, to ‘pick up’ someone you fancy!
However, if you have been in the dating game for even a short period, you know how nerve-wracking it can be to come up with an appropriate pick-up line!
Read More: How to Make Friends in College?
A pick-up line can be great if you know what to say and how to say it. Even a great pick up line can be completely butchered if you happen to say it at the wrong place at the wrong time.
When you choose a pick-up line, keep in mind that it should do two main things- it should be interesting or intriguing enough for the person to want to reciprocate, and it should act as a conversation starter.
Some people might even respond to really horrible but funny jokes and puns, but that is a risky game.
When looking for a good pick up line, stick to the basics. Instead of simply memorizing a dozen pick up lines, you should look for context. Remember, if you try and memorize a pick-up line, the chances are that you might fumble, or the person might find the line to be offensive and walk away.
Pick up lines can vary from ingenious to cringe-worthy ones! When it comes to finding the best pick up lines to help you while you are studying abroad, here are a few things you can keep in mind:
Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing a Pick-up Line:
- Look for context around you. If you are at a friend’s party, you can approach your person of interest and ask them how they know the host. You might even ask them about the music at the party, the venue, or something related. This is a great conversation starter.
- You should be genuinely interested in their response. Remember that a pick-up line serves as a conversation starter. After you say the line and they respond, you have to take the conversation somewhere! So listen to their response and give your response accordingly.
- Never cross a line- This can apply to both men as well as women using pick up lines. Every person has their own space and boundary, and under no circumstances, even as a joke, should you cross it. Be aware of the person’s response to your line. If they seem to be uncomfortable or think that something you said is inappropriate, the best thing to do is respect their wishes and apologize. A pick-up line cannot guarantee that your person of interest will respond favourably- that depends on your personality, tone, body language, and, most importantly, if the person is interested in being ‘picked up.’
- As a general rule, it is best not to comment on a person’s looks while using a pick-up line. This is a grey area and can go north or south very quickly, so it is best to stick to neutral topics before going on to complimenting their looks.
- Don’t intrude on someone’s personal space. If you see that they are wearing earphones, they might not want to be disturbed. Or if you see a woman standing at a lonely bus stand, and decide to compliment her perfume, it might come off as creepy rather than romantic!
What Kind of Pick up Lines Can You Use?
As an international student, you can meet people at various places. You may meet someone in your classroom, during a lecture, in the library, cafeteria, in a restaurant or pub, or even on the road!
The first thing you should do is smile! Of course, not in a prominent, creepy kind of way, but a smile enough to convey that you are interested in talking to the person.
If you meet someone of interest in your school or university, you can ask them what subjects they are taking, where they are from, or maybe their favourite subject! If they respond and seem interested, continue the conversation!
If you meet someone at a library or a bookstore, the chances are that both of you are book lovers! Ask them about a book they might be looking at, or they are holding. You can ask them to recommend a book for you, or if you are courageous enough, ask them if you can buy a book for them! This is the equivalent of asking to buy someone a drink at a bar, and it will work like a charm.
If you happen to meet someone on the road, you can open the conversation by asking them if they know a place (where you might be heading). This pick-up line can go either way, but it is worth trying. Be careful and notice the person’s response and body language to know whether they are interested in continuing a conversation with you or not.
Yes, approaching someone can be nerve-wracking, and you might not always know the right things to say. When it comes to pick-up lines, sometimes going simple is the best way to go.
The most important thing to keep in mind is to read their body language to see if they are interested or not. It is essential to be open to rejection as well- a pick-up line is a great conversation starter, but obviously cannot guarantee anything! As long as you are genuine and having fun, pick up lines can be a great way to approach someone you are interested in.